Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square trig graphs

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    We had a test recently in trig on graphing trig functions. I found it all quite simple except a problem that we had not discussed. I believe the problem was something like y=cos^2(x). I graphed it by squaring each cosine value, because i had no idea what else to do, but when i turned the test in, my teacher told me that it was only half correct. I ended up with a nice M (maybe W) shape. Thinking back, would it have been correct to change the equation to y=(1+cos2x)/2 and then graph it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

tycon69, what are you trying to express? Are you asking about [cos(x)]*[cos(x)], or what? You seem to mean just that. All the values will be positive (the 'y' values). The 'M' shape that your teacher indicated. The amplitude is 1.
  4. Apr 6, 2008 #3
    Maybe you took the squares of negative cosines as negative? cos^2(x) is greater than 0 everywhere, was your graph?
  5. Apr 6, 2008 #4
    yes it was, it's amplitude was one and everything was above 0. I just graphed it on a graphing application and the graph is identical to what i graphed. I must have overlooked a simple mistake, i'll have to look at it monday. Luckily she only counted off half so i ended up with an A. Thx for trying to help me, i know my explanation was quite confusing.
  6. Apr 7, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What was the problem? Just to graph the function?
  7. Apr 7, 2008 #6
    Yes, the problem was just to graph the function. I found out it was a pretty stupid mistake on my part in that i graphed cos(0)=0 when it should have of course been 1:bugeye:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?