Graphing y=cos^2(x) - Trig Graphs

In summary, the conversation is about a recent trigonometry test where the speaker found the material easy except for one problem involving graphing a function. The function was y=cos^2(x) and the speaker graphed it by squaring each cosine value. However, their teacher only counted it as half correct and suggested that changing the equation to y=(1+cos2x)/2 would have been the correct approach. The speaker realized their mistake and ended up with an A on the test.
tycon69
We had a test recently in trig on graphing trig functions. I found it all quite simple except a problem that we had not discussed. I believe the problem was something like y=cos^2(x). I graphed it by squaring each cosine value, because i had no idea what else to do, but when i turned the test in, my teacher told me that it was only half correct. I ended up with a nice M (maybe W) shape. Thinking back, would it have been correct to change the equation to y=(1+cos2x)/2 and then graph it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tycon69, what are you trying to express? Are you asking about [cos(x)]*[cos(x)], or what? You seem to mean just that. All the values will be positive (the 'y' values). The 'M' shape that your teacher indicated. The amplitude is 1.

Maybe you took the squares of negative cosines as negative? cos^2(x) is greater than 0 everywhere, was your graph?

yes it was, it's amplitude was one and everything was above 0. I just graphed it on a graphing application and the graph is identical to what i graphed. I must have overlooked a simple mistake, i'll have to look at it monday. Luckily she only counted off half so i ended up with an A. Thx for trying to help me, i know my explanation was quite confusing.

tycon69 said:
We had a test recently in trig on graphing trig functions. I found it all quite simple except a problem that we had not discussed. I believe the problem was something like y=cos^2(x). I graphed it by squaring each cosine value, because i had no idea what else to do, but when i turned the test in, my teacher told me that it was only half correct. I ended up with a nice M (maybe W) shape. Thinking back, would it have been correct to change the equation to y=(1+cos2x)/2 and then graph it?
What was the problem? Just to graph the function?

Yes, the problem was just to graph the function. I found out it was a pretty stupid mistake on my part in that i graphed cos(0)=0 when it should have of course been 1:bugeye:

1. What is the basic shape of the graph of y = cos^2(x)?

The basic shape of the graph of y = cos^2(x) is a periodic function that oscillates between 0 and 1, with a period of 2π.

2. How do I find the amplitude of y = cos^2(x)?

The amplitude of y = cos^2(x) is 1, as the function oscillates between 0 and 1. This means that the maximum value of the function is 1 and the minimum value is 0.

3. What is the period of y = cos^2(x)?

The period of y = cos^2(x) is 2π, which is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the graph.

4. How do I find the x-intercepts of the graph of y = cos^2(x)?

The x-intercepts of y = cos^2(x) occur at every multiple of π, as the function crosses the x-axis at these points. This is because cos^2(x) = 0 when x is equal to any odd multiple of π.

5. How can I use transformations to graph y = cos^2(x)?

To graph y = cos^2(x), you can apply transformations to the basic cosine function. For example, adding a constant to the function will cause a vertical shift, multiplying by a constant will cause a vertical stretch or compression, and changing the sign of the function will cause a reflection over the x-axis.