Stability of a spring mass system in two dimensions

In summary: Differentiating the expression with respect to x doesn't give a solution when the first derivative = 0, which would then indicate that there's no minimum point.
kyva1929

Homework Statement

Attached

Homework Equations

5.104 mentioned in the problem is

Also attached

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose the mass is moved to (x,y), the distance from the mass to the left spring is denoted by A, the distance from the mass to the right spring is denoted by B. I get the expression in the last line.

If I expand the whole expression, and treat sqrt((a+/-x)^2+y^2) as simply a (for small x and y, << a), I can obtain the potential energy in the form of 5.104 after eliminating certain constants, however, that doesn't help me in solving the eqm part of the question.

Differentiating the expression with respect to x doesn't give a solution when the first derivative = 0, which would then indicate that there's no minimum point. I'm stuck. Please help!

Attachments

• Qs.jpg
    Qs.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 534
Physics news on Phys.org
Then I would like to see how you obtain the simplified expression for U :smile:

My result is: [tex]U = k(a-l_o)^2 + k(1-\frac{l_o}{a})x^2 + k(1-\frac{l_o}{a})y^2[/tex]

Why does [tex]\partial U/\partial x = 0[/tex] not give any solution?

hikaru1221 said:
Then I would like to see how you obtain the simplified expression for U :smile:

My result is: [tex]U = k(a-l_o)^2 + k(1-\frac{l_o}{a})x^2 + k(1-\frac{l_o}{a})y^2[/tex]

Why does [tex]\partial U/\partial x = 0[/tex] not give any solution?

Can you show me how you arrive at the expression for U? I've tried to derive U from force consideration, the resulting expression looks way too complicated. The expression obtained by merely adding the potential energy from both springs is still too complicated as well.

Thanks for your help :)

From your exact expression of U:

[tex] U = \frac{1}{2}k(\sqrt{a^2+2ax+x^2+y^2}-l_o)^2 + \frac{1}{2}k(\sqrt{a^2-2ax+x^2+y^2}-l_o)^2[/tex]

We have:

[tex] U = k(a^2+x^2+y^2+l_o^2-2l_o(\sqrt{a^2+2ax+x^2+y^2}+\sqrt{a^2-2ax+x^2+y^2}))[/tex]

Notice that:

[tex]\sqrt{a^2+2ax+x^2+y^2} \approx a(1+\frac{x}{a}+\frac{x^2}{2a^2}+\frac{y^2}{2a^2})[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{a^2-2ax+x^2+y^2} \approx a(1-\frac{x}{a}+\frac{x^2}{2a^2}+\frac{y^2}{2a^2})[/tex]

(due to [tex]a\sqrt{1+\epsilon} \approx a(1 + \frac{\epsilon}{2})[/tex] )

And we arrive at the result.

hikaru1221 said:

[tex] U = \frac{1}{2}k(\sqrt{a^2+2ax+x^2+y^2}-l_o)^2 + \frac{1}{2}k(\sqrt{a^2-2ax+x^2+y^2}-l_o)^2[/tex]

We have:

[tex] U = k(a^2+x^2+y^2+l_o^2-2l_o(\sqrt{a^2+2ax+x^2+y^2}+\sqrt{a^2-2ax+x^2+y^2}))[/tex]

Notice that:

[tex]\sqrt{a^2+2ax+x^2+y^2} \approx a(1+\frac{x}{a}+\frac{x^2}{2a^2}+\frac{y^2}{2a^2})[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{a^2-2ax+x^2+y^2} \approx a(1-\frac{x}{a}+\frac{x^2}{2a^2}+\frac{y^2}{2a^2})[/tex]

Thank you so much! I'm a newbie and am still not used to approximation technique, thanks for the great help!

hikaru1221 said:

We have:

Notice that:

why did you not treat the constant k as, kx and ky??
Can you combine them like that? because i thought that the problem statement given has them as separate constants? help me please

i have this as the exact same question. i was wondering if i could get some clarification on the two different k constants. what is the next step?

1. What is a spring mass system in two dimensions?

A spring mass system in two dimensions is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, which can move in two dimensions (up and down, left and right). It is often used as a model for studying the behavior of systems in physics and engineering.

2. How is the stability of a spring mass system in two dimensions determined?

The stability of a spring mass system in two dimensions is determined by the relationship between the spring constant (k) and the mass (m). A higher spring constant or a lower mass will result in a more stable system.

3. What factors can affect the stability of a spring mass system in two dimensions?

The factors that can affect the stability of a spring mass system in two dimensions include the spring constant, mass, damping coefficient, and external forces. Changes in any of these factors can alter the stability of the system.

4. How does damping affect the stability of a spring mass system in two dimensions?

Damping is the process of reducing the amplitude of oscillations in a system. In a spring mass system, damping can improve stability by reducing the oscillations and preventing the system from becoming unstable. However, too much damping can also decrease the system's response time and limit its ability to return to equilibrium.

5. Can the stability of a spring mass system in two dimensions be controlled?

Yes, the stability of a spring mass system in two dimensions can be controlled by adjusting the spring constant, mass, damping coefficient, and external forces. By carefully choosing these parameters, the stability of the system can be optimized for a specific application or scenario.