Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stablizing Exotic atoms Impossible?

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    I was thinking if you entangled both the electron and positron in a states that both of thier orbitals don't interact.

Or just entangle the electron with a helium higher orbital electron.

Or you entangled a muon with a helium proton(is that even possible?).

Is there any way to keep a particle from reaching its ground state?

Can you lower a quarks mass?

Can you entangled the electron with a positron?

Can a particle observe another particle?

Can positrons be entangled with protons?

Can other particles give a muon enough energy to stay at its metastable 2s?

Can a neutron stablize a lepton?

Can are there any other stable particles other than protons,electrons,neutrons, neutrinos and photons?

Can you stablize a particle?

Are any hyperonic atoms stable?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2005 #2
    Here are my attempts to answer a few of your many questions--perhaps others can add to the list (and/or correct any errors of fact I have made).

Question: Are there any other stable particles other than protons,electrons,neutrons, neutrinos and photons?

Depends on what you mean by "particle". If we take the view that clusters of protons and neutrons are "fundamental particles" (the view taken by J.A. Wheeler in his "Resonating Group Method"; Linus Pauling in his "Close-Packed Spheron Model", Ronald Brightsen in his "Nucleon Cluster Model", many others )...then there are other stable particles--the deuteron [N-P] cluster, and Helium-3 [P-N-P] cluster. These "cluster models" view these two clusters as fundamental stable particles that help build the structure of all known isotopes.

You also incorrectly mention the free "neutron" as being stable--this is not true--the neutron is unstable and will decay via beta-decay (negatron decay) to form the proton + (e-) + anti-neutrino + Q energy.

Only the "free proton" is stable--as mentioned below, when the proton is bound within isotopes it can undergo decay either by positron decay or electron capture. We use the process of positron decay in medical research (the PET scan)--one common isotope is Carbon-11. Thus, the proton is not universally stable--but I am sure your question was about the "free proton".

Can positrons be entangled with protons?

The positron is the positive charge electron = (e+). It is well known that a number of isotopes will decay via what is called "positron decay". During this process the proton within an isotope decays to form a neutron + (e+) + neutrino. In this macroscopic view, one can conclude that the positron is entangled with the neutron and the neutrino and that the result of this entanglement is what we observe as "the proton".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?