StackOverflow equivalent for physics?

In summary, the StackOverflow model could work for physics Q&As, but it would require a large audience to start off with.

Interested in StackOverflow for physics?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Maybe, let's see how it goes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
diazona
Homework Helper
I didn't think this question would fit in any of the other forums, hopefully this is the right place...

I'm not sure how many other people on this forum are familiar with StackOverflow - it's basically a question-and-answer site for computer programming where members can rate each others' questions and answers. Anyway, for quite a while, since even before I joined PF, I've been thinking that the format of the site might work pretty well for physics Q&As as well. (I can understand the concern that a lot of people who may not know much about physics would be involved in the rating process, but the model works well for programming, so I figure it's at least worth a try for physics) Now that the people behind StackOverflow are planning to make their system available for other topics, I'd like to start one for physics, but I want to gauge whether it's going to be worthwhile first.

So the question is, does anyone know whether there's an already-established project applying the StackOverflow model to physics? And if not, do you think there'd be enough interest to make it worth starting one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Programming questions probably lend themselves more to a question answer format, whereas physics questions are usually more conceptual and less deadline driven (you're not stuck halfway through writing a program) and hence lend themselves more to an open conversation

I've tried it before & failed. The most important thing is you need a huge audience on day 1.

Last edited:
The main difference is that in the SO system answers are discrete and are wrong/right - the users then vote up the correct answer by consensus.
In PF the answer is more often a conversation as you explain each step and the poster (especialy for HW) responds - it wouldn't make sense to reorder the responses and vote some up.
Some elements of PF have been used in SO, like reputation - so you can tell if an answer comes from somebody with a history.

What is a "StackOverflow equivalent" for physics?

A "StackOverflow equivalent" for physics refers to an online platform or community where individuals can ask and answer questions related to physics. It is similar to StackOverflow, a popular website for programming-related questions, but specifically for topics related to physics.

What are the benefits of having a "StackOverflow equivalent" for physics?

Having a "StackOverflow equivalent" for physics provides a platform for individuals to seek help and clarification on physics concepts, theories, and problems. It also allows for the sharing of knowledge and collaboration among physicists and physics enthusiasts, leading to a better understanding and advancement of the field.

Who can participate in a "StackOverflow equivalent" for physics?

Anyone with an interest in physics can participate in a "StackOverflow equivalent" for physics. This includes students, professors, researchers, and professionals in the field. The platform is open to both beginners and experts, providing a diverse range of perspectives and contributions.

How does a "StackOverflow equivalent" for physics work?

A "StackOverflow equivalent" for physics works similarly to StackOverflow, where users can ask questions, provide answers, and engage in discussions related to physics. Users can upvote helpful answers and downvote incorrect or irrelevant ones. The platform also has moderators to ensure the quality and accuracy of content.

Where can I find a "StackOverflow equivalent" for physics?

There are several websites and online communities that serve as "StackOverflow equivalents" for physics, such as Physics Stack Exchange, Physics Forums, and ResearchGate. These platforms can be easily found through a simple internet search and are free for anyone to join and participate in.