Standard Basis Math: Find Point X w/ B-Coord Vector X

In summary, the formula X = P(b)X' represents a point in terms of a point-matrix multiplied by a coordinate vector. In the given problem, the point X with a b-coord vector of [-3, 2]t can be found by using the formula X = P(b)X', resulting in the point [-1, 2]t. This point is in the standard basis.
EvLer
I think I sort of understand this but need confirmation/correction:

We have this formula in the book: X = P(b)X' (point = point-matrix * coord vector).

So the follow-up problem is this:

given basis X1 = [1, 0]t X2 = [1, 1]t what point X has b-coord vector X' = [-3, 2]t.
Well, it is straight-forward, by formula one gets X = [-1, 2]t.

So it looks to me that this point is with respect to the standard basis, am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that by "b-coord" means with respect to this given basis, then you are looking for X'= -3[1, 0]+ 2[1, 1]= [-3+2, 2]= [-1, 2] in the standard basis.

Yes, you are correct. The standard basis refers to the standard unit vectors [1, 0] and [0, 1], which are used to represent points in the Cartesian coordinate system. In this case, the given basis X1 and X2 are equivalent to the standard basis, so the point X with b-coord vector X' = [-3, 2]t will also be in the standard basis. This means that the coordinates of point X are [-3, 2] with respect to the standard unit vectors [1, 0] and [0, 1].

FAQ: Standard Basis Math: Find Point X w/ B-Coord Vector X

1. What is Standard Basis Math?

Standard Basis Math is a mathematical concept used to find a specific point on a coordinate plane using a basis vector. It involves calculating the coordinates of a point using a set of basis vectors as a reference.

2. How do I find Point X using B-Coord Vector X?

To find Point X using B-Coord Vector X, you will need to have the coordinates of the basis vectors and the coordinates of the point you are trying to find. You can then use the formula B-Coord Vector X = (x,y) to calculate the coordinates of Point X.

3. What is a basis vector?

A basis vector is a vector that serves as a reference for other vectors in a coordinate system. It is typically represented by a unit vector in one direction, such as (1,0) for the x-axis and (0,1) for the y-axis.

4. Can Standard Basis Math be used in any coordinate system?

Yes, Standard Basis Math can be used in any coordinate system as long as you have the coordinates of the basis vectors and the point you are trying to find. However, it is most commonly used in Cartesian coordinate systems.

5. What are some applications of Standard Basis Math?

Standard Basis Math is commonly used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, computer graphics, and robotics. It is also used in everyday applications, such as GPS navigation and map-making.

Back