Standard/wifi light switch schematic

In summary, electrical engineers, Zigbe modules can be used to create a wireless switch. This would be feasible and possible, but you would need to start with an Arduino and learn about circuits. There are other RF standards out there, but Zigbe is fairly popular.
sanforce
standard/wifi "light switch" schematic

Electrical engineers, I would like to learn more about circuits, wireless applications, and their integration with computer software. So I've come up with an idea to bounce off of you. I would like to be able to create (and eventually install) a wireless switch and be able to control it using my computer and standard network setup.

So, is this design schematic feasible/possible?

[PLAIN]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3426/schematick.jpg

If so, where should I begin? I have been looking at the Arduino Fio microboard b/c it can be used wirelessly and Arduino can be integrated w/ C++. However, I don't really understand how to go about sending/receiving a wireless signal from the chip... or much about circuits. Any tips to start the learning process?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

sanforce said:
Electrical engineers, I would like to learn more about circuits, wireless applications, and their integration with computer software. So I've come up with an idea to bounce off of you. I would like to be able to create (and eventually install) a wireless switch and be able to control it using my computer and standard network setup.

So, is this design schematic feasible/possible?

[PLAIN]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3426/schematick.jpg

If so, where should I begin? I have been looking at the Arduino Fio microboard b/c it can be used wirelessly and Arduino can be integrated w/ C++. However, I don't really understand how to go about sending/receiving a wireless signal from the chip... or much about circuits. Any tips to start the learning process?

Welcome to the PF!

You might look into Zigbe modules operating in the microwave oven / WiFi band. There are other RF standards out there, but Zigbe is fairly popular. Here is an intro tutorial from EE times on Zigbe:

http://www.eetimes.com/design/indus...A-ZigBee-Radio-Tutorial-for-the-non-RF-Expert

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a standard/wifi light switch schematic?

A standard/wifi light switch schematic is a diagram that shows the electrical components and connections of a light switch that is either operated manually or through a wifi connection. It outlines the different parts of the switch and how they are connected to control the flow of electricity.

How does a standard/wifi light switch work?

A standard/wifi light switch works by connecting the electrical circuit to either turn the light on or off. When the switch is in the "on" position, it closes the circuit and allows electricity to flow through, turning the light on. When it is in the "off" position, the circuit is broken, and the light turns off.

Is there a difference between a standard light switch and a wifi light switch?

Yes, there is a difference between a standard light switch and a wifi light switch. A standard light switch is manually operated, while a wifi light switch can be controlled remotely through a wireless connection. Additionally, a wifi light switch may have additional features such as scheduling and voice control.

What are the benefits of using a wifi light switch?

There are several benefits of using a wifi light switch, including convenience, energy efficiency, and added security. With a wifi light switch, you can control your lights from anywhere, reducing energy waste. It also allows you to schedule your lights, making it look like someone is home even when you're away. Additionally, some wifi light switches have motion sensors that can trigger the lights, adding an extra layer of security to your home.

Do I need any special equipment to install a wifi light switch?

Yes, you will need a wifi-enabled light switch and a stable wifi connection to install and use a wifi light switch. Some wifi light switches may also require a hub or bridge to connect to your home's wifi network. It is essential to read the installation instructions carefully before purchasing a wifi light switch to ensure you have all the necessary equipment.