Star populations by spectral classes and masses

In summary, the spectral class and mass information can be found on Wikipedia, but the surface temperature information is not available.
Barnak
I need the % of stars in our galaxy, sorted by spectral classes and also by masses. Is there any such information somewhere ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Of course! There is a wealth of information on this. Wikipedia will spell out for you both the masses and populations of the spectral classes.

blkqi said:
Of course! There is a wealth of information on this. Wikipedia will spell out for you both the masses and populations of the spectral classes.

I already searched (especially Wikipedia) and didn't found the % I was looking for. The only document (a picture in some PowerPoint document !) gave the percentage of stars of given masses :

41% for M < 0.25 M_Sol
28% for 0.25 M_Sol < M < 0.5 M_Sol
19% for 0.5 M_Sol < M < 1 M_Sol
8% for 1 M_Sol < M < 2 M_Sol
3% for 2 M_Sol < M < 4 M_Sol
~1% for M > 4 M_Sol

The trouble is that the document isn't clear and precise enough about the source of this data (where does it come from ?)
I also need something similar about the spectral classes.

I simply need more, so this is why I'm asking for some help on this subject.

Wikipedia cites their data for masses and populations in the table in section 2 of the Spectral Classification article. If you need a more reliable source, any good astronomy textbook should have the information you need in an appendix.

Well, on the wikipedia article :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_classification

we can find spectral class populations in % but only for the main sequence stars. I need something more general. Also, the Wikipedia article doesn't say anything about populations sorted by masses.

Check Vizier, they have spectral survey databases.

I think you will have a hard time, as this is poorly known. Most stars are small and dim red dwarfs, and we can't see them well. The best measurements are probably from 2MASS, which was an all-sky survey in the IR. I don't know if anyone has attempted to take the 2MASS data and convert it into the format you're looking for.

Fundamentally the problem is bias - it's easy to see big, bright, blue stars, so counting what you see in the sky gives you a sample that is biased, big, bright and blue.

Q : How can we know if a randomly picked star is in the main sequence ?

More precisely, suppose I have the following innformations : Radius, Luminosity, Absolute Magnitude, Spectral class and surface temperature. Is there a simple mathematical procedure to say if it's a main sequence star ?

Last edited:
depending on the limits of main sequence can't that be taken from a HR diagram? L vs Teff will put you somewhere on the plane...

1. What is the significance of star populations by spectral classes and masses?

Studying the populations of stars by their spectral classes and masses can provide valuable insight into the evolution and characteristics of different types of stars. It can also help us better understand the formation and structure of galaxies.

2. How do scientists determine the spectral class and mass of a star?

Scientists use various techniques, such as spectroscopy and photometry, to analyze the light emitted by a star and determine its spectral class and mass. Spectral class is determined by the star's temperature and the presence of certain elements in its atmosphere, while mass is calculated based on the star's luminosity and distance from Earth.

3. What are the different spectral classes of stars?

There are seven main spectral classes of stars: O, B, A, F, G, K, and M. These classes are further divided into subclasses based on the presence of certain spectral features. The classes range from hottest to coolest, with O being the hottest and M being the coolest.

4. How do star populations vary based on their spectral classes and masses?

The population of stars in different spectral classes and masses varies greatly. For example, there are significantly more low-mass stars (M-type) than high-mass stars (O-type). Additionally, the distribution of stars in different spectral classes can provide information about the age and history of a galaxy.

5. What can the mass of a star tell us about its characteristics?

The mass of a star is a crucial factor in determining its lifespan, luminosity, and other characteristics. Massive stars have shorter lifespans but are much brighter and hotter than low-mass stars. They also have stronger stellar winds and are more likely to end their lives in a supernova explosion.