Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting problem of a generator....

1. Aug 24, 2016 #1
    my generator create some problem. when i run it after some time it off automatically. how can i solve this problem. have any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2016 #2
    no one is there to help me?

4. Aug 24, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You will have to supply more information . What type of generator and what is it being used to supply electricity to ?

Just guessing for the present but repeated shut downs under similar operating conditions suggest overloading and/or overheating .

5. Aug 24, 2016 #4
    it's Champion 73536i 2000 Watt Portable Generator. i bought it 9 month ago. after getting off it not run again still now .

6. Aug 24, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This one ? Link

Contact the manufacturers to see if they can help you . If not come back to PF .

7. Aug 24, 2016 #6
    yes. this is the model

8. Aug 24, 2016 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Nine months? You do have to drain the fuel, or buy "premium."

9. Aug 24, 2016 #8
    it will work?

10. Aug 24, 2016 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I am guessing that this is what's wrong --- there are absolutely no guarantees.

11. Aug 24, 2016 #10
    ok. i will must try it. thanks for your time Bystander

12. Aug 24, 2016 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When you shut off the engine the carburetor is left full of gasoline.
    When the unit sits for months gasoline evaporates from the carburetor leaving only the non-volatile parts behind, often in the form of a heavy varnish like gummy gooey layer. It plugs up the tiny passages in the carburetor.
    The ounce of prevention to keep this from happening is to empty the carburetor before putting the unit into long term storage. Find the fuel shutoff valve and close it, let the engine run until it has used all the gas that was in the carburetor. Usually takes two or three minutes at idle, less if loaded. Alternately you could siphon all the gas out of the tank and run the engine until it's out of gas.

All gasoline engines are that way. Well, carbureted ones anyway.

Did you follow these instructions in the owner's manual page 14?

upload_2016-8-24_8-52-10.png

and page 18 where they continue with instructions how to clear the jets and oil the piston rings.

Once the carb has got gummed up it needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Squirt "Carb Cleaner" through the passages. Denatured alcohol or acetone works too but be careful of acetone on plastic & rubber parts.

Another possibility is the low oil cutoff switch has stuck. Check oil level , then disconnect the wire and see if it starts. If it does, you need to fix the switch.

old jim

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  13. Aug 27, 2016 #12
    thanks JIM for your time. i repair it now it running.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted