Stat-mech: Quadratic composition dependence

• A
  • Thread starter maistral
  • Start date

Summary:

Where did it say in stat-mech that the second virial coefficient of a mixture must be quadratically composition-dependent?
I am quite unsure where to post this, as I am a chemical engineer and that I am working with phase equilibrium. My issue however is regarding statistical mechanics, thus me posting my problem here.

I keep on encountering that the second virial coefficient of a mixture must be quadratically composition-dependent, and that it is stipulated in statistical mechanics that it must be so.

May I know what, why, or where did this 'stipulation from statistical mechanics' come from?

Answers and Replies

Since the 2nd viral coefficient relates to the effects of binary interactions between molecules, doesn't. it make sense that it should be quadratically composition-dependent?

Likes Lord Jestocost
Since the 2nd viral coefficient relates to the effects of binary interactions between molecules, doesn't. it make sense that it should be quadratically composition-dependent?
I honestly thought there was a 'deeper meaning' to this, lol. So this basically (and literally) means the 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 2-2 interactions.

Thanks!

Likes Lord Jestocost