What Causes Incorrect Section Placement in Static Equilibrium and Torque?

In summary, the problem involves a horizontal scaffold with paint cans stacked on it, suspended from a building by two cables. The total mass of the scaffold and paint cans is given, along with the tension in one of the cables. The task is to find the distance from the right cable to the center of mass of the paint cans. The solution involves using torque equations and setting the clockwise and anticlockwise moments equal to each other. The correct torque value is 1560Nm, and the distance can be found by subtracting it from the total length of the scaffold.
itachipower
wrong section

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

I have been trying to solve this problem for a while now and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong...

Here is the problem:

In the figure below, a horizontal scaffold, of length 2.00 m and uniform mass 50.0 kg, is suspended from a building by two cables. The scaffold has dozens of paint cans stacked on it at various points. The total mass of the paint cans is 75.5 kg. The tension in the cable at the right is 780 N. How far horizontally from that cable is the center of mass of the system of paint cans?

12-32.gif

Homework Equations

T = r x F

Sigma T = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am doing is using the left cable as the rotational axis for Torque. So I get Torque due to the beam + torque due to the CoM of the paint cans = 780N

Therefore, (50)(9.8)(1m) + (75.5)(9.8)(x) = 780N

The answer is supposed to be .554 m. So I think I'm missing a force but I don't know what it is. Thanks for your help :)

itachipower said:

What I am doing is using the left cable as the rotational axis for Torque. So I get Torque due to the beam + torque due to the CoM of the paint cans = 780N

Therefore, (50)(9.8)(1m) + (75.5)(9.8)(x) = 780N

The answer is supposed to be .554 m. So I think I'm missing a force but I don't know what it is. Thanks for your help :)

Welcome to PF,Itachi (don't use sharingan on me) lol :wink:
The scaffold is in equillibrium.So,clockwise moment is equal to anticlockwise moment.You're 780N is wrong,it has to be the torque there.
780 x 2=1560Nm.
You are using the other cable as a reference point.So,you will get the distance from.Therefore,you have to subtract it from 2m. o:)

Welcome to PF,Itachi (don't use sharingan on me) lol :wink:
The scaffold is in equillibrium.So,clockwise moment is equal to anticlockwise moment.Your 780N is wrong,it has to be the torque there.
780 x 2=1560Nm.
You are using the other cable as a reference point.So,you will get the distance from.Therefore,you have to subtract it from 2m.o:)

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

You are welcome

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is the state in which an object is at rest and has no net force acting on it. This means that the object's acceleration is zero and all forces acting on it are balanced.

2. How is torque defined?

Torque is a measure of the turning force on an object. It is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

3. What is the difference between rotational and translational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium refers to the state in which an object is not rotating due to balanced torques acting on it. Translational equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to the state in which an object is not moving due to balanced forces acting on it.

4. How does the center of mass affect an object's equilibrium?

The center of mass is an important factor in determining an object's equilibrium. If an object's center of mass is located directly above its base of support, it is more stable and less likely to tip over. This is because the object's weight is evenly distributed over its base, resulting in a lower center of gravity.

5. What are some real-life examples of static equilibrium?

Some examples of static equilibrium in everyday life include a book resting on a table, a ladder leaning against a wall, and a see-saw with two people of equal weight on either side. These objects are in static equilibrium because the forces acting on them are balanced, resulting in no movement.