1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Equilibrium Problem involving Moments

1. Jul 7, 2016 #1
    Capture.PNG
    Equations: Net torque=0=Net force
    I believe this is a static equilibrium question but cant figure out how to do it

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2016 #2
    The net force on the x-axis must be zero. What equation can you make from this fact?

Also the net torque is zero. Take the torques around the A point. What equation can you make?

Solving these two equations with two unknowns (F_x and the force from cable ) will get you the result.

4. Jul 7, 2016 #3
    New%20Doc%2014_1.jpg
    this is what i have split the forces as till now,
    somehow i cant get them to cancel

5. Jul 7, 2016 #4
    You get involved with the forces along the line of the 80Kg rod, that's not what you should do, the x-axis is not the line of the 80Kg rod, the first picture at OP shows which are the x -axis and the y-axis.

In the y-axis you got the weights of the rod and the mass m, 80Kg and 10Kg respectively (and the F_y component of the force from wall at A).
    In the x-axis you got F_x and the tension T from the cable.

6. Jul 7, 2016 #5
    ah got it thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted