1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static equilibrium marbles problem

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    Hey all, new member here
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two uniform 75g marbles 2cm in diameter are stacked on top of each other in a container that is 3cm wide
    the top marble touches right side of the container, the bottom touches the left side.
    Point A is the bottom marble left contact point with the container, point B is the bottom marble touch the bottom of the container, point c is the top marble's contact point with the container

Attempt at a figure:
    l top marble, point Cl
    lmarble contact pointl
    lpoint A, bottom marble l
    l_____point B________l
    What is the force the container exerts at point A,B, and C?
    What force does each marble exert on each other?

2. Relevant equations
    Basically since its static equilibrium, , all force and torques add up to zero. Also the equation for Torque, T=sin(phi)*lever arm

3. The attempt at a solution

force at B is easy to get since thats just the normal force equal to the combined weight of the two marbles.
    At A and C, its obvious that they're equal. I can also get the torque due to the top marble on the bottome marble: weight*(.01m)*(sin(30)) after that I don't know what else to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hey, krko ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Is this frictionless?

You're taking moments about the point of contact between the marbles … why? :confused:

If you take moments (torques) about a point, you must do it for all the forces … that's why we usually choose a point about which some of the forces have zero moment.

Try again, taking moments about a different point. :smile:

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    Okay, i uploaded an image of the problem. The torque i'm talking about is the torque caused by the top marble about point the center of the bottom marble. Although looking back i think I found my mistake, that I neglected the effect of the force of the container on point C on the bottom marble.

Attached Files:

• img.bmp
      img.bmp
      File size:
      223.1 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook