Static equilibrium with a suspended sphere on a wall

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving forces and tension on a wall, with the use of equations and trigonometry to solve for the value of the frictional coefficient (\mu). The experts recommend setting up the equations and attempting to solve them without knowing the final answer in order to improve problem-solving skills.
gills

Homework Statement

static_problem.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fi = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex] = 0

Nw = force of the wall
Ff = Frictional force
[tex]\mu[/tex] = frictional coefficient
T = Tension

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx = Nw - Tsin(30) = 0

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = -mg + Tcos(30) + Ff = 0

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex] = (R/2)mg - (3/2)R*Ff = 0

That's what i have, but i have a feeling that I'm missing something. Any help would be great. Especially if it's Doc Al!

Thanks
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
gills said:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx = Nw - Tsin(30) = 0

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = -mg + Tcos(30) + Ff = 0
Right idea, but check your sines and cosines.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex] = (R/2)mg - (3/2)R*Ff = 0
Good!

The only thing you're missing is the relationship between the force of friction and [itex]\mu[/itex]. What is it?

Doc Al said:
Right idea, but check your sines and cosines.

Good!

The only thing you're missing is the relationship between the force of friction and [itex]\mu[/itex]. What is it?

Doc,

I think the trig is correct. Unless I'm smoking something, but the opposite of that 30 degree angle is the x component of T, right? And the adjacent is the y component? Unless you want me to use Tcos60 for the xcomponent and Tsin60 for the y?

Anyway --->

Ff = [tex]\mu[/tex]Nw --->

Nw = Tsin30 --> from the x-components, so -->

Ff = [tex]\mu[/tex]*Tsin30

gills said:
I think the trig is correct. Unless I'm smoking something, but the opposite of that 30 degree angle is the x component of T, right? And the adjacent is the y component?
Yep, you're right. (D'oh!)

Anyway --->

Ff = [tex]\mu[/tex]Nw --->

Nw = Tsin30 --> from the x-components, so -->

Ff = [tex]\mu[/tex]*Tsin30
Right. So solve those equations together and you'll find the value for [itex]\mu[/itex].

Doc Al said:
Yep, you're right. (D'oh!)

Right. So solve those equations together and you'll find the value for [itex]\mu[/itex].

worked out on paper, i got 0.866 which is the right answer!

You know what confuses me the most is that you can solve for an actual number in a question with all variables. What is the best way to tell that variables will actually cancel out and you'll end up with computable trig functions and a constant? My brain is still trying to get used to it.

gills said:
What is the best way to tell that variables will actually cancel out and you'll end up with computable trig functions and a constant?
If the number of unknowns matches the number of independent equations--that's a good sign.

But the real secret is to have the confidence to set up the equations and attempt to solve them without knowing in advance that it will work out. That's how you learn. Some students (not you!) are afraid to make a move unless they see how to get the final answer in one step; with that attitude they'll never improve their problem-solving skills.

After you've solved a zillion problems, you'll have an intuition about what's solvable and what's not. But don't wait for that!

What is static equilibrium with a suspended sphere on a wall?

Static equilibrium with a suspended sphere on a wall refers to a state in which a sphere is hanging from a string attached to a wall, and the forces acting on the sphere are balanced. This means that the sphere is not moving and is in a stable position.

What factors affect static equilibrium with a suspended sphere on a wall?

The factors that affect static equilibrium with a suspended sphere on a wall include the mass of the sphere, the length of the string, the angle at which the string is suspended, and the force of gravity.

How is static equilibrium calculated for a suspended sphere on a wall?

To calculate static equilibrium for a suspended sphere on a wall, you need to consider the forces acting on the sphere, including the tension force from the string and the force of gravity. These forces should be equal and opposite to achieve equilibrium, so you can use the equations for Newton's second law to calculate the forces and determine the hanging angle of the string.

What happens if the forces are not balanced in static equilibrium with a suspended sphere on a wall?

If the forces are not balanced in static equilibrium with a suspended sphere on a wall, the sphere may start to move or rotate. This means that the system is not in equilibrium and will continue to move until the forces are balanced again.

What real-life applications use static equilibrium with a suspended sphere on a wall?

Static equilibrium with a suspended sphere on a wall is commonly used in real-life applications such as weighing scales, pendulum clocks, and cranes. It is also important in structural engineering to ensure that buildings and bridges are stable and can withstand external forces.