Statics - beam forces and moments

In summary: There is a moment arm at the point (b-x), and the force is balanced by the weight of the beam. There is no momentum because the force is balanced at the point.
almoga
Thread moved from the technical forums and poster has been reminded to show their work
Summary:: I did the first section but I am having a hard time with the second. would like to find the moment in the next section (from b to h)

1626674809674.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your momentum is right. The momentum in the top beam ranges from 0 at the corner to Pb at the wall, so pb+px can't be right, however you define x. (I don't see it on the drawing)
When analyzing a beam in wall/floor problem, it's usually easiest to start at the end of the beam. The section from h to the end is very simple, so you can also analyze the section from the cut in the top beam to the end at once. There really shouldn't be a problem if you set the total force and the momentum at any point at 0.

Likes almoga
you were right about the b section. I corrected it. I ended up with a constant momentum of zero at the h section. does this make sense to you?

I think you can replace the vertical beam with a rope. There's only vertical forces, so how could there be a momentum?

willem2 said:
I don't think your momentum is right. The momentum in the top beam ranges from 0 at the corner to Pb at the wall
almoga said:
you were right about the b section. I corrected it. I ended up with a constant momentum of zero at the h section
If this is truly a statics problem, there is no momentum involved at all. There seems to be confusion between a "moment" and "momentum." They are quite different matters.

Likes PhanthomJay
willem2 said:
I think you can replace the vertical beam with a rope. There's only vertical forces, so how could there be a momentum?
You need to balance forces and also moments.

The moment in the horizontal section is P(b-x). Basically, this is the same thing as a cantilever beam without the vertical section.

Last edited:

What is statics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves analyzing the forces and moments acting on a stationary object to determine its equilibrium.

What are beam forces?

Beam forces refer to the external forces acting on a beam, such as weight, applied loads, and reactions at supports. These forces can cause the beam to bend, shear, and deflect.

What are moments in statics?

Moments are rotational forces that act on an object. In statics, moments are typically measured in terms of torque, which is the product of the force and the distance from the pivot point.

How do you calculate beam forces and moments?

To calculate beam forces and moments, you must first draw a free body diagram of the beam and identify all the external forces acting on it. Then, you can use equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces and moments.

Why is understanding statics important?

Understanding statics is crucial in engineering and physics because it allows us to analyze and design structures that can withstand external forces and maintain their equilibrium. It also helps us to predict and prevent structural failures, ensuring the safety and stability of buildings, bridges, and other structures.