1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics: Drawing Shear and Moment Diagram

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5889/shear.png [Broken]

I'm having trouble drawing the shear diagram on MAsteringEngineering. I'm pretty sure the values are correct too?

I got By = 10.5 and Ay = 9.5

V(x) = -2x+9.5 for the distributed load

so when I set V=0, I find the x intercept to be 4.75.

At x=5, the shear drops to -0.5 and stays at that value until 8. At x=8, V=-10.5. For x=8 to x=10, the shear is constant at -10.5. When x=10, V=10.5, which should place the point on the x axis.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks ok to me, but it might be the solid blue line x = 4.75 thru the point of zero shear that is causing the issue, there is no discontinuity at this point.

4. Apr 27, 2013 #3
    Is that what the blue lines are for? I actually don't know how to graph something properly using MasteringEngineering.

One of my previous answers did not have the vertical blue line at 4.75, but had everything else the same and that was marked incorrect for me as well.

5. Apr 27, 2013 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, neither do I.
    I don't know why, your shear diagram is perfect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted