Statics, equilibrium sphere in a groove on an incline plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 8K views
J-dizzal said:
Where does F cancel out?
Well right at the beginning you could cancel it out by dividing both sides by F. (Zero divided by F is zero.)

It should cancel at a later step too, but you're making a mistake in one of your steps... You're dividing one side by F but not the other side.

There also seems to be another mistake: you are turning α into θ at the last step. [edit: also the 2 appears to be missing somewhere]

(I haven't read this thread, so I'm just trusting that the initial equation is correct.)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nathanael said:
Well right at the beginning you could cancel it out by dividing both sides by F. (Zero divided by F is zero.)

It should cancel at a later step too, but you're making a mistake in one of your steps... You're dividing one side by F but not the other side.

There also seems to be another mistake: you are turning α into θ at the last step. [edit: also the 2 appears to be missing somewhere]

(I haven't read this thread, so I'm just trusting that the initial equation is correct.)

I keep getting the same answer now, still wrong though;
F-(2Fsin(α))/cos(θ))sin(θ)=0
1-(2sinα/cosθ)sinθ=0
cosθ-2sinαsinθ=0
-2sinαsinθ=-cosθ
-2sinα=-cosθ/sinθ
tanθ=1/2sinα
θ=arctan(1/sinα)
θ=50.87 degrees.​
 
haruspex said:
Check that step.
θ=arctan(1/2sinα)
=50.87 incorrect
 
J-dizzal said:
θ=arctan(1/2sinα)
=50.87 incorrect
There's another error in the working in the image attached to the OP. Didn't spot it before. You've swapped the 24 degrees and the 66 degrees.
 
haruspex said:
There's another error in the working in the image attached to the OP. Didn't spot it before. You've swapped the 24 degrees and the 66 degrees.
yea!
Thanks haruspex.