Spring angles at static equilibrium on application of force

In summary, two linear springs with stiffness Kh and Kv are attached to a single mass m at right angles to each other. A constant force F is applied to the mass at an angle theta with respect to the x-axis. The goal is to find the angles alpha1 and alpha2 that the springs will subtend with the x-axis and y-axis, respectively, at the position of static equilibrium. The attempt at a solution involves assuming that the horizontal component of the force will only compress the Kh spring and the vertical component will only elongate the Kv spring. However, it is unclear if this is a valid assumption, as the geometry suggests that both springs will be affected by both components of the force. Further analysis using Lami's theorem and the
ANKIT SAJWAN

Homework Statement

Two linear springs with stiffness Kh, Kv are attached to a single mass m at right angle to each other, i.e; one of the spring(Kh) is in the horizontal direction(x-axis) and the other(Kv) is in the vertical direction(y-axis).

A constant force F is being applied to the mass, inclined at an angle theta with the x-axis.

I need to find the angle which the springs Kh, Kv will subtend with the x-axis and y-axis respectively at the postion of static equilibrium.

Homework Equations

F = K * x

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted the problem by assuming that the horizontal component of F will just compress the Kh spring by some distance, say a , while the Kv spring will not have any effect as the force is perpendicular to the linear spring. Did the similar thing for vertical component of F.

My query is, is it correct to assume that the horizontal component of F will not have any effect on Kv, as from geometry we can see that if the spring Kh moves by distance a, then the spring Kv will elongate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try making several drawings showing possible outcomes.

Is there more info in the question? A drawing perhaps?

Initial condition at the instant of application of force

Attachments

• equilibrium.png
    equilibrium.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 541
Now draw it displaced to a likely position.

Have to go out for a few hours. Will try and get back to this later.

Are you concerned with large displacements, or is your problem limited to small displacements?

@Dr.D : Actually force is acting almost vertically i.e; angle theta is almost 90 degree, so we can assume very small displacement in the horizontal direction, but can't say about the vertical displacement whether it can be considered small or not

@CWatters : This is how it would look at the equilibrium positions, with the springs forces developed, i wish to know those two angles, aplha1 and aplha2

Attachments

• staticequi.png
    staticequi.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 497
So can you see how both springs have h and v components.

@CWatters : Yes i can see that, and i have used lami's theorem to obtain some sets of equations. But these equations which I've obtained are very complicated and obtaining the angles aplha1,aplha2 in terms of F & theta is not possible.

Two possibilities..

Post your equations and we'll see if someone from the maths section can help solve them.
or
If one or more of the spring constants are large compared to the applied force then one or more of the angles α1 and α2 might be small enough that you can make a small angle approximation eg Sin(α1) ≈ 0.

What information is known/provided in the problem?

This looks like a good problem to attach via the Principle of Virtual Work. I have not solved the problem, but I think I would probably choose x and y displacements as my generalized coordinates, and then express everything (including the angles) in terms of those two variables.

@Dr.D @CWatters

I tried to do it with principle of virtual work, and obtained a final equation in x(horizontal displacement of mass)

I have attached images

Attachments

• IMG_20171013_223002.jpg
    IMG_20171013_223002.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 436
Sorry to say, but I can't see your work. I'm an old man with weak eyes, and it would take me a full day to decipher that (time I need for other things).

Likes ANKIT SAJWAN
Haha I'm so sorry, I thought it uploaded.
I have attached the images links, please have a look!

https://ibb.co/k1MhLb
https://ibb.co/gr7KYw

The image was there, but the contrast is very poor in your images, and the hand writing is difficult to read. If you want help, please put your work in a more readable form.

What is the definition of spring angle at static equilibrium?

Spring angle at static equilibrium refers to the angle at which a spring is at rest when no external forces are acting on it. It is the angle between the line of action of the spring force and the horizontal axis.

How does the spring angle at static equilibrium affect the force applied?

The spring angle at static equilibrium determines the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the spring. At this angle, the spring is at rest and the force applied is equal to the spring's spring constant multiplied by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the spring angle at static equilibrium?

The spring angle at static equilibrium is affected by the spring's stiffness or spring constant, the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position, and the direction in which the force is applied.

How is the spring angle at static equilibrium calculated?

The spring angle at static equilibrium can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as the sine, cosine, and tangent. It is also dependent on the magnitude and direction of the force applied and the spring's stiffness.

Why is the spring angle at static equilibrium important in studying forces?

The spring angle at static equilibrium is important because it helps determine the relationship between the force applied and the displacement of the spring. It also allows us to understand the behavior of springs and how they respond to external forces, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications.