Statics forces acting on supports

In summary, the problem involves 4 forces: 12W acting downward at point A, 3W acting downward 2 feet from point B, and two unknown forces, one acting upward at point A and one acting upward at point B. The equations for solving these forces are Ay + By - 12W - 3W = 0 and Ay + By = 3036 lb/ft. A moment force is not necessary, as taking moments about a chosen point can be used to solve for Ay and By.
jimbo71

Homework Statement

see attachement

Homework Equations

sum of Fx=0
sum of Fy=0
sum of M=0

The Attempt at a Solution

There are 4 forces that I have found. 12W acting in the negative y direction at A. 3W acting in the negative direction acting 2 feet from pt B. A F acting in the positive y direction from point A and a F acting in the positive direction from point B.
Ay+By-12W-3W=0.
Ay+By=3036lb/ft

Obviously I need a second equation to solve for Ay and By. I'm not sure what other forces I can sum up. I think somehow I want to incorporate a moment force but I don't know what it would be.

Attachments

• 14911-32382-statics.jpg
    14911-32382-statics.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
?

Hi jimbo71! :smile:

I can't see your diagram yet, so I'm only guessing …

but there's probably no "moment force" - you just choose a point, and take moments of all the ordinary forces about that point, and equate it to zero. :wink:

1. What is the definition of "static forces"?

Static forces refer to the forces that act on a body or object that is at rest or in a state of equilibrium. These forces do not cause any motion or change in the object's position.

2. What are the different types of static forces?

The different types of static forces include tension, compression, shear, and bending. Tension forces act to stretch or elongate an object, while compression forces act to compress or shorten an object. Shear forces act in opposite directions on either side of an object, causing it to deform. Bending forces act to bend or flex an object.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of static forces?

The magnitude and direction of static forces can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and equations of equilibrium. This involves analyzing the external and internal forces acting on a body and setting them equal to each other to determine the unknown forces.

4. What is the significance of understanding static forces in engineering and physics?

Understanding static forces is crucial in engineering and physics because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of structures and objects under different loading conditions. This information is essential for designing safe and stable structures and for understanding the principles of mechanics.

5. How do external forces affect the stability of a structure?

External forces, such as wind, earthquakes, and applied loads, can affect the stability of a structure by creating forces that act on the supports and cause the structure to move or deform. It is important to consider these external forces when designing structures to ensure they can withstand them and remain stable.