1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics - Mechanics of Materials, check my work please?

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    Could someone please check this for me? I attached a rough free body diagram of the whole frame. Any help is appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The member ACF of the frame loaded as shown is connected to member BCD by means of a smooth peg and slot C with force P = 930 N at point D. Determine the diameter of pin C in mm if the allowable shear stress is 150 MPa.

2. Relevant equations

ƩM=0
    ƩFY=0
    ƩFX=0
    τ=F/A
    A=(pi/4)*d2

3. The attempt at a solution

Taking ƩME=0, I have FY(4.8 m) - 930 N(3.6 m), FY=697.5 N.
    Next, looking at member ACF, take ƩMA=0, where I have 697.5 N*(4.8 m) - C*cos(θ)*(2.4 m) - C*sin(θ)*(2.7 m), where θ=tan-1(5.4/4.8)=48.36°. Solving for C, I get C=926.79 N.
    Shear is given by τ=F/A where F is the force acting on the pin C and A is the cross-sectional area of pin C. Solving for diameter I get 3.62 mm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is OK.
    You are assuming that there is no x component of the force at F. Is there? Try looking at member DCB instead, to solve for C directly.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

papasmurf: We do not yet know the answer with certainty, because you did not show boundary conditions (constraints) on your free-body diagram (FBD). Also, you did not state the static coefficient of friction (COF), mu. Therefore, the given problem is not fully defined yet.

If there is a horizontal roller at point F, and if mu = 0, then everything you did is correct, except for your pin diameter.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  5. Jan 14, 2012 #4
    Sorry for no clarifying, both "legs" if you will are connected by pins so there are vertical and horizontal force components. Taking that into account I was able to figure out the pin length to be about 4.2 mm. Thanks guys.

6. Jan 14, 2012 #5

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

papasmurf: That is doubtful. Because you did not yet draw clear constraint symbols on your FBD, your given question is not yet defined. We probably cannot help you until you draw clear constraint symbols on your FBD. If you currently do not realize there is a difference between, e.g., a pin and a roller, then you currently might be missing a fundamental concept. Also, "legs, if you will" is unclear. When you talk about point locations, specify the point label, such as point A, point E, etc.

mu = 0 is conceivable (although we cannot be certain if you do not state the given problem). However, with no clearly-shown constraints in the FBD, this question is anyone's guess. Also, your current pin diameter looks wrong, as far as I can tell. Keep trying.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. Jan 14, 2012 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have correctly noted (perhaps by chance?) that because of the slot, no axial force can be transferred to ACF, and thus the force on the pin at C must be perpendicular to ACF, and hence Cy = Ccostheta. If you draw a FBD of DCB, you can solve for Cy, and then C, and then the area of the bolt, and then it's diameter. I also do not get your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook