1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics Questions - Equilibrium in a pulley system

1. Dec 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the value of W to maintain equilibrium upload_2015-12-7_22-12-13.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have split the system into two, creating a triangle. From this I have a right angle triangle with an adjacent of 2m, opposite of 0.6m and an hypotenuse of 2.088m (calculated through pythag). I have then worked out the angle at the pulley as 16.7 degrees. However I do not know how to now find W, I think it may have something to do with the equation 40kg x g x cos(90-16.7) + 40kg x g x sin(90-16.7), but this isn't given me the kind of answer I expected so I'm not sure if it's right.
    upload_2015-12-7_22-25-10.png

Any help on the next step would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How about analyzing the forces acting at the point where the ropes connect to the 80 kg mass. Apply the conditions for equilibrium.

4. Dec 8, 2015 #3
    Am I right in thinking the forces are acting like this?
    upload_2015-12-8_23-55-4.png

5. Dec 8, 2015 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's exactly right. And if you set up the equilibrium equations, you can solve for T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted