Statistical Mechanics - Chemistry or Physics PhD

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is completing their undergraduate studies with a double major in chemistry and physics and is now considering whether to attend graduate school in physics or chemistry. They have a strong interest in chemical/statistical physics and have been doing research in molecular dynamics. The student is seeking advice on which subject would be best for their career goals and if their stronger background in chemistry should be taken into consideration. The conversation also touches on the possibility of taking courses from both departments and the student's preference for chemistry.
t!m
Hi everyone,

I'm finishing up my undergrad with a double major in chemistry and physics. My interests are right at the cusp of the two, in chemical/statistical physics. I've been doing research for over a year in molecular dynamics with a well-known prof in the chemistry department, resulting in a first author publication (and hopefully more to come by the time I graduate).

In short, I'm debating whether to attend graduate school in Physics or Chemistry. I feel I'm stronger as a chemistry applicant (courses taken, activities, letters of rec, etc) and there are some great programs for what I want to do, e.g. the groups at UC Berkeley. At the same time, I really like physics, I do very well in my classes, and feel I might get a more rigorous education in proper statistical mechanics from a physics department (in addition to other important related subjects like classical and quantum mechanics), but I might have to settle for a less prestigious university.

Any advice on (a) whether the subject is best pursued through physics or chemistry and (b) how much I should take into consideration my more substantial chemistry background?

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt the chemistry department at UCB would forbid you from taking physics courses! But it couldn't hurt to ask the admissions committee. If they are receptive, it sounds like you have a slight preference for chemistry, so...

Last edited:
Well if you do chemistry at UCB, you can take any course in any department that you'd like. So you could do chemistry, but take the physics courses for your own edification. However, I would advise against using chemistry to get your foot in the door if your heart is really set on physics (this is what I did, and I've actually decided to leave). This wouldn't be a problem the other way around, but physics departments are very rigid and won't higher someone without a degree in physics proper. If your career prospects are not in academia, then go for it. As a chemistry student, you can ideally take any class and work with any group.

1. What is Statistical Mechanics?

Statistical Mechanics is a branch of physics and chemistry that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of systems made up of a large number of particles. It applies principles of probability and statistics to understand and predict the properties of matter at a macroscopic level.

2. How is Statistical Mechanics related to Chemistry and Physics?

Statistical Mechanics is a fundamental theory that underlies both chemistry and physics. It provides a way to connect the microscopic world of atoms and molecules to the macroscopic world we see around us, allowing us to make predictions about the behavior of matter at a larger scale.

3. What does a PhD in Statistical Mechanics involve?

A PhD in Statistical Mechanics involves in-depth study and research in the field of statistical methods and their applications to understanding the behavior of matter. It typically includes coursework in statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics, as well as a research project and dissertation.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a PhD in Statistical Mechanics?

A PhD in Statistical Mechanics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in both industry and academia. Many graduates go on to work in research and development roles in industries such as materials science, pharmaceuticals, and energy. Others pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers.

5. What skills are important for a successful career in Statistical Mechanics?

Critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills are essential for success in Statistical Mechanics. Strong background knowledge in physics, chemistry, and mathematics is also important. Additionally, communication and collaboration skills are valuable for presenting and discussing research findings with others in the field.