1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Mechanics - Specific Heat Capacity

1. Jul 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give an physical explanation to why the specific heat capacity goes to zero as temperature goes to zero.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was simply thinking that around absolute zero the average kinetic energy of the particles should be zero, meaning that the atoms in the solid would be pretty much at a halt. Thus, even if we just add an infinitesimal amount of heat the increase in average kinetic energy would be relatively big, implying that the specific heat capacity goes to zero. Even I myself think that that last part is flawed, so I'm looking for any better explanation of this fenomenon. Any help appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2
    using the fundumental thermodynamic identity, and the third law of thermodynamics, one requires that the heat capacity (at constant pressure) becomes and infinitisimal quantity at absolute zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook