Statistical Methods: Worth it?

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistical
In summary: The book is a little pricey though.In summary, the person is not enjoying the course and does not think it is worth it.
QuarkCharmer
So, I found myself in need of an elective course, and I have taken all of the maths that I can possibly take (except for things further in the sequences). I signed up for a Stats course, and after tonight (the first day of the course) I realize that there is very little I will probably take away from this course, assuming that I will no doubt take a higher-level probability course in the future when I am able. Course is populated with nursing majors and other non-science types, only myself and a mechanical engineer are alone.

Is this worth taking? I was thinking that maybe it would be some good word problem practice at the very least. It's not too late to change the course, what else could someone at the calc II level take that would be worthwhile in the long term, at least look good on a cv?

(I'm fine in the programming department too)

Should I stay in the class or try my hand at something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Statistical Theory (or Mathematical Statistics) are preferred courses for learning the basics, especially when they also cover measure theory concepts such as Lebesque, and don't let you all confused when your Riemann Integral fails :smile:. However, It is useful to start learning how to use Statistical Packages such as SAS, STATA, R, and others. Therefore, if the course includes some regression methods with a STAT Package stay and learn how to use them. Typically Statistics Departments split their courses for applied and theoretical statistics courses, so you can learn both important skills.

Do Note that Statistical Theory is useful for Statistical Mechanics courses in Physics, Econometrics in Economics, and Stochastic Optimization in Operation Research. Also, other courses that use probability concepts.

I'm not sure if you have looked into it, but my school has a statistics course called "Applied Statistical Methods" which is a stats course that uses calculus. I am taking it next year, so I cannot elaborate too much, but calculus IS a prerequisite, and it is required for all engineers here. I do know, however, that it focuses on applications, and less on derivations and theory.

Take it for what it is. Check it out.

We have a combo Probability and Statistics course that all Engineers take, but I can't take it yet, we have silly pre-reqs here. That's why I took this one. I guess it will be a refresher with factorials and p hats and all that.

I'd drop it, personally. Can you take a linear algebra or differential equations class instead? Anything?

My school has four different prob/stat classes. Business, health, and engineering along with a 'pure' Prob/stat course.

The business and health ones are a joke. The engineering one is calculus based but doesn't focus at all on theory. The pure one is obviously for statisticians and the like.

If you are taking a health type course and plan on doing an engineering one then I'd say drop it. It won't hurt to take it but I can't say its worth the time/effort/money.

I'd say drop it. Not only is it a waste of time if you will be taking a more advanced course later, but it may look bad on your transcript --- people knowledgeable about the course might think you were trying to take the easiest courses possible.

If there is nothing else you can take in the math dept, is there some kind of mathematical methods class in the physics dept? Or heck, take soccer or swimming while you have the time.

If you can take the pure one, and also if you are willing to put the effort for the math. Initially, I learned probability calculus based, and in my opinion it was a waste of time. It was not until Grad School when I took the Statistical Theory sequence that I was able to appreciate what was going on.

Pyrrhus said:
If you can take the pure one, and also if you are willing to put the effort for the math. Initially, I learned probability calculus based, and in my opinion it was a waste of time. It was not until Grad School when I took the Statistical Theory sequence that I was able to appreciate what was going on.

Engineers don't usually care what's going on, so long as it works -.-

There is really nothing I can take, except for something like another humanities or as you mentioned soccor et al. We aren't allowed to take Linear Alg. or DEQ until calc II is finished. At least next semester I should be able to take a bunch of fun courses.

This (stats) course is business related, and we went over some basic set theory today. I also skimmed over all the chapters on the syllabus and it's a fairly interesting book I guess. It's the only semi-relevant (in that it's math) that I can take, and in all honesty, I don't pay for school (VA) so it fills my needed 3 credits this semester. The only other thing I could think of is taking something like O-chem or whatever else comes after General Chemistry II?

What's your major?

Depending, it may be worth while to take a programming class. I assume you're engineering or physics or math..In any of which cases programming is most definitely a useful skill to have, and at the very least is another line on a resume. I took FORTRAN and Java my first two semesters because I didnt have the needed prerequisites to take anything else. I'm glad I did.

Ive got to agree (again) that it's pretty useless to take this course..

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of using statistical methods?

Statistical methods are used to analyze and interpret data in order to make informed decisions and draw accurate conclusions. They help identify patterns and relationships within data, and can be used to test hypotheses and make predictions.

2. How do statistical methods differ from other research methods?

Unlike other research methods that rely on subjective interpretations, statistical methods use mathematical and computational techniques to objectively analyze data. This allows for more reliable and replicable results.

3. Are statistical methods worth the time and effort?

Yes, statistical methods are definitely worth the time and effort. They can provide valuable insights and help make data-driven decisions, which can lead to more efficient and effective outcomes.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to use statistical methods?

While having a strong background in math can be helpful, it is not a necessity. Many statistical methods have user-friendly software and tools that can be used by individuals with varying levels of mathematical knowledge.

5. Can statistical methods be applied to any type of data?

Yes, statistical methods can be applied to various types of data, including numerical, categorical, and even textual data. However, the choice of statistical method may vary depending on the type of data being analyzed.