1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics - Distribution Function Technique

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(From Probability and Statistical Inference, Hogg and Tanis, Eighth Edition, 5.1-5)

The p.d.f. of X is [itex]f(x) = \theta x^{\theta - 1}[/itex] for [itex]0<x<1[/itex] and [itex]0<\theta<\infty[/itex]. Let [itex]Y = -2\theta \ln X[/itex]. How is [itex]Y[/itex] distributed?

2. Relevant equations

Um... Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

3. The attempt at a solution

So I've actually solved this, it's exponential with [itex]\theta = 2[/itex]. My question is about the answer given in the back of the book: It cryptically says [itex]M(t) = (1-2t)^{-1}[/itex] for [itex]t<1/2[/itex] which is, to my eye, a useless calculation of the moment-generating function. WTF? Why is this here? Ideas?

Thank you.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    What's "\"?

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    That is a slash. I'm not 100% sure why you ask, but I think maybe it's because you're confused about how to read the 1/2 (one half).

5. Feb 27, 2012 #4
    transformation using the mgf approach?

6. Feb 28, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One way do get a density is to get its MGF and hope you obtain a familiar, recognizable form. The form they gave you IS familiar. Of course, you are free to do the problem some other way.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook