1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics problem-exponential approximation

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    Statistics problem---exponential approximation

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A box contains 2n balls of n different colors, with 2 of each color. Balls are picked at random from the box with replacement until two balls of the same color have appeared. Let X be the number of draws made.

a) Find a formula for P(X>k) k=2,3,...

b) Assuming n is large, use an exponential approximation to find a formula for k in terms of n such that P(X>k) is approximately 1/2. Evaluate k for n equal to one million.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a), I got that P(X>k) = (2n-2)/2n * (2n-4)/2n *...* (2n-2k+2n)/2n for k terms.

For part b), how do I set up an exponential approximation? To get started, I think that it would be e^(-1) + e^(-2) +...+ e^(1-k)... am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't done the counting, but this formula looks wrong since it appears to have ##n-k## terms. Once you work out the right form, I would clean it up by canceling common factors of 2 and also using the factorial function.

They could mean use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling's_approximation]Stirling's[/PLAIN] [Broken] approximation, which is useful whenever you have an expression for the factorial of a large number.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Oct 1, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You really ought to explain the logic: your formula is the probability that the first k colours are all different. Of course, you can cancel out all the 2s to get
    [tex] P(X > k) = \frac{n-1}{n} \frac{n-2}{n} \cdots \frac{n-k +1}{n}[/tex]
    (Note: the final factor is NOT what you wrote, but I assume that was just a 'typo', since you otherwise seemed to know what you were doing.)

You can do something similar to what Feller would do in his probability textbook, and re-write the result as
    [tex] P(X > k) = \left(1 - \frac{1}{n}\right)\left( 1 - \frac{2}{n}\right) \cdots
    \left( 1 - \frac{k-1}{n}\right) [/tex]
    That provides a convenient starting point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted