1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prob/Stats Statistics textbooks covering moments/cumulants

1. Feb 14, 2017 #1

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been looking into time series analysis from a statistical perspective (looking to expand my bag of tools in analyzing experimental data) and I repeatedly run into the concept of moment and cumulant spectra. The problem is that my undergraduate course on statistics back in the day essentially never covered cumulants and only barely touched moments, and so my background is insufficient to grasp some of the richer texts on this subject.

Does anyone have any suggested resources/texts that cover this topic?

FWIW, my background is PhD-level engineering.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2017 #2
    Kendall and Stewart's The Advanced Theory of Statistics Vol1 comes to mind but it might be a difficult place to start. Have you any experience with Random Processes? If not, I'd suggest Random Signals by Shanmugan and Breiphol.

4. Feb 15, 2017 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

If you are an engineer, then the following book is the standard:
    Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes by Athanasios Papoulis.

5. Feb 15, 2017 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a little bit of familiarity with the topic based on experiences with Random Data by Bendat and Piersol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted