1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Statistics- unbiased estimator #2

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is some question, I solved it but am not sure I got the right answer.

Let Y1, Y2..... Yn be a random sample of size n from the pdf fY(y;[tex]\Theta[/tex]= [tex]\frac{1}{\Theta}[/tex]*e-y/[tex]\Theta[/tex] , y>0
    Let [tex]\Theta[/tex]_hat=n*Ymin is tex]\Theta[/tex]_hat for [tex]\Theta[/tex] ?

2. Relevant equations

Ymin=n*(1-FY(y))n-1fY(y)

Also, it looks like an exponential distribution.

3. The attempt at a solution

What I need to find is E[n*Ymin]

I get [(-n)/(n+1)]/(1/ [tex]\Theta[/tex] )

Is this the correct answer ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2010 #2
    where did you get the eqn for Ymin it makes no sense.

4. Mar 1, 2010 #3
    i take that back give me a sec

5. Mar 1, 2010 #4
    okay here it is. the PDF of Ymin is f(y)=(-n/theta)*exp(-yn/theta). To get this we need to use the following (questionable?) sequence of logic: the probability that ymin is less than y is 1 minus the probability that ymin >= x. for this inequality to hold we need Y(i)>=x for all i. i.e. Y(1)>=x AND Y(2)>=x ... Y(n)>=x. this will give us the CDF for Ymin from which we derive the PDF of Ymin given above. Now check that E(nYmin)= theta. (I actually get
    -theta but there may be some minor issue with my calculation see what you get, if
    E(nYmin) =theta (not negative theta) then it is unbiased.

6. Mar 1, 2010 #5
    Hello,

I don't really understand what you are trying to do here.
    you found the pdf for Ymin ? we are given the pdf
    Also, I got the CDF for Ymin, but am not sure I did it the right way.
    And , I don't really understand what you got for the CDF..

Thanks.

7. Mar 1, 2010 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

You are given the distribution for the individual values - it is the distribution from which you take the sample. The minimum is a statistic, and you need its distribution.

The derivation outlined above is correct. If [tex] Y_{\min} [/tex] is the minimum of a sample, then to get its distribution (assuming the sample comes from a continuous distribution, as yours does). I'll use [tex] G, g [/tex] for the CDF and PDF of [tex] Y_{\min}[/tex], and [tex] F, f [/tex] for the CDF and PDF of the population.

[tex]
    P(Y_{\min} \ge t) = P(X_1 \ge t \text{ and } X_2 \ge t \dots \text{ and } X_n \ge t) = (1-F(t))^n
    [/tex]

because of independence, so the CDF of [tex] Y_{\min} [/tex] is

[tex]
    G(t) \equiv P(Y_{\min} \le t) = 1 - (1 - F(t))^n
    [/tex]

and the density [tex] Y_{\min}[/tex]is

[tex]
    g(t) = G'(t) = n(1-F(t))^{n-1} f(t)
    [/tex]

In your problem the original data come from an exponential distribution. Use the CDF for that in place of F, the PDF in place of f, to get the density of [tex] Y_{min} [/tex] in this particular case. The expected value of the minimum is

[tex]
    \int t g(t) \, dt
    [/tex]

and this will be a function of [tex] \theta [/tex]. You should be able to finish the problem from there.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook