1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics using binomial expansion

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Uploaded

2. Relevant equations
    P(y)=(n c y)p^y(q^(n-y)) this is also uploaded

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at the first two parts is uploaded I am really confused on how to do game 6 and 7. Also I am a bit confused on how what I did worked in P(y=5), as the professor worked those parts out in class and I have forgotten since last class. Why is it 2 choose 1 is it because either team A or team B can win one game? Also why is it 4 choose 3, I am really lost on this part. So if I am assuming that they have played one game because the winning team has to win 4 total games, and the losing team has to win either game 1,2,3 or 4 and cannot win the last because the series would be over. Thus since they lost 1 they would have to play 4 more which is where the 4 on the top comes from, but why the three that would only be three wins thus they wouldnt win? Am I correct

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at what happens when A wins the series; just multiply that probability by two because the teams are evenly matched. So, assume A wins in the following.

Suppose the playoffs last 4 games. Then A must win all 4; what is the probability of that?

Suppose the playoffs last 5 games. So, in the first 4 games, A must win 3 and B must win 1; then A wins game 5. What is the probability of that?

If the playoffs last 6 games, then in the first 5 games A must win 3 and B must win 2; then A must win game 6. What is that probability?

You can do it for 7 games.

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3
    Ok so I get p(y=6)=.3125 and p(y=7)=.3125 did I do something wrong?

5. Mar 1, 2013 #4
    A new attachment of what i have done so you can see clearly.

Attached Files:

6. Mar 1, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If it's undecided still after 5 games, what must the score be? What two equally likely scores will there be after the 6th game?

7. Mar 2, 2013 #6
    If its undecided after 5 it must be 3 games to 2 games. To win either team a or b must get 4 games to win so if team A has 3 going in the need to win for it be 6 and if team B has 3 going in they need to win for it to go 6. So what am I not seeing still?

8. Mar 2, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So it's 3-2. The next game will make it 4-2 or 3-3 equally likely. So what does that mean about the relative probabilities of there being 6 or 7 games altogether?

9. Mar 2, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In my first response I suggested you look at the playoff-length probabilities, assuming that A wins the series (then do the same, assuming that B wins). All such confusion would have been avoided if you had done that, but you chose to ignore the suggestion.

10. Mar 2, 2013 #9
    So 50 chance of game 6 and 50 percent chance of game 7. All vickson I'm sorry I am just trying to figure this out it takes a bit for me to understand what may be obviously clear to you, I didn't mean to upset you.

11. Mar 2, 2013 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not upset, just surprised. What I was attempting to do was to help you see things more clearly, not to confuse you. I do believe the approach you are using just makes things harder.

12. Mar 3, 2013 #11
    So I have been told by about 4 people my answer is correct are they wrong, now I am really confused?

13. Mar 3, 2013 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answers are correct. I was addressing before a message you posted about being confused. If you are no longer confused, that's great.

14. Mar 3, 2013 #13
    Ok sweet thanks man

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted