1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Winning and losing teams probability distribution

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    Suppose two teams play a series of games, each producing a winner and a loser, until one team has won two more games than the other. Let Y be the total number of games played. Assume each team has a chance of 0.5 to win each game, independent of results of the previous games. Find the probability distribution of Y.

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I thought I'd say that given that team A has had X games and team B has Z games, then Y=X+Z, and since it takes two more games for the winner to get, then Z=X+2, so Y=2x+2. Probability function would be then P(Y<=y)=P(Y<=2x+2) but I am not sure where to go from here...Also, was thinking that it may be a binomial, with (Y choose 2x+2)(0.5)^(2x+2)(0.5)^y where x=1,2,3....y.

Any input is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you studied Markov chains yet? If so, it is a simple exercise to get the generating function of Y, hence to find the distribution P{Y = n}, n = 2,3,4,... .

Here is a hint: let X = #won by A - #won by B. We start at X = 0. X increases by 1 if A wins and decreases by 1 if B wins. The game stops when X reaches ± 2. So, we have a simple 4-state Markov chain with states X = {0,1,-1,'stop'}, and Y = first passage time from state 0 to state 'stop'.

RGV

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    No, we haven't done Markov Chains yet...
    What do you mean by "first passage time"?

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first passage time from any state i to state 'stop' is the first time (t = 1,2,3,...) at which state 'stop' is reached. It is exactly the Y that you seek. (Calling it a first-passage time allows you to do a meaningful Google search of that term to find out more about it.)

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook