Stats: figuring out ranges of transformed variables

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in finding the range of a transformed variable and how to approach the problem. The conversation mentions two examples and provides a step-by-step explanation for finding the range in each case. It is concluded that for finding the range, one only needs to consider the min and max values of the function being transformed.
bennyska

Homework Statement

so in general, i am having difficulty in figuring out the range of a transformed variable. sometimes it's easy, i just plug in values and get the other values out, but sometimes I'm not seeing it. for example:
f(x)=4x3, for 0<x<1
and let U = (X-.5)2. Finding the pdf of U was not difficult, but finding the range is. the book says 0<u<.25.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i can see that if i plug in 0 for x, i get .25, and if i plug in 1 for x, i get .25. i guess, in this range, i can see that the max is .25 and the min is 0. in general, is that how i find it? just take the min and max? that doesn't seem right to me.

another example would be with f(x) = 1, and let Y = X(1-X). finding the pdf wasn't too difficult, but again I'm having problem with the range. actually, the book gives the same answer, and the graph is pretty similar, just rotated. so, really, i don't know where to get the ranges.

Physics news on Phys.org
bennyska said:

Homework Statement

so in general, i am having difficulty in figuring out the range of a transformed variable. sometimes it's easy, i just plug in values and get the other values out, but sometimes I'm not seeing it. for example:
f(x)=4x3, for 0<x<1
and let U = (X-.5)2. Finding the pdf of U was not difficult, but finding the range is. the book says 0<u<.25.

Homework Equations

i can see that if i plug in 0 for x, i get .25, and if i plug in 1 for x, i get .25. i guess, in this range, i can see that the max is .25 and the min is 0. in general, is that how i find it? just take the min and max? that doesn't seem right to me.
This is actually pretty straightforward. Just work through the inequalities.

You are given that 0 < x < 1,
so -.5 < x - .5 < .5,
If you square x - .5 (to get u), you will always get something that is >= 0, so you have
0 <= (x - .5)2 < (.5)2

or 0 <= u < .25
bennyska said:
another example would be with f(x) = 1, and let Y = X(1-X). finding the pdf wasn't too difficult, but again I'm having problem with the range. actually, the book gives the same answer, and the graph is pretty similar, just rotated. so, really, i don't know where to get the ranges.

bennyska said:

Homework Statement

f(x)=4x3, for 0<x<1

Homework Equations

Look at the graph of y = (x - .5)2. What range of y-values is obtained from the x-interval 0 <= x <= 1?

RGV

thanks, mark, that's totally obvious now that you put it out there.
i'm still having a little trouble with the next one, though.
0<x<1
0<x(1-x)<(1-x)
0<u<1-x... solving for x in terms u doesn't really seem to work. in short, i don't see how i can rid of that x and get .25 on that side...

ray: so is that all i have to do? if i look at the graph of the function I'm using to transform, and it's continuous, all i have to do is take the max and min? that seems wrong to me, since it's not one to one, but i really don't know.

Yes, to get the *range* that's all you have to do. It is true that (x-.5)^2 does not have an inverse, but that is a separate issue (which you must address when computing the _distribution_ of Y, but not when getting the range of Y).

RGV

Last edited:
For the 2nd problem, if u = x(1 - x), the graph of this equation is a parabola that opens down. The two x-intercepts are pretty easy to find, and the vertex is also easy to find. Once you know the coordinates of the vertex, finding the range of values of u is straightforward.

so i guess it makes sense that the min and max of the function I'm transforming is the range. it just seems weird to me because it's not one to one. but if you have to incorporate that fact elsewhere, then I'm more okay with it. it just seemed like i was leaving information out. thanks.

1. What is the purpose of transforming variables in statistics?

Transforming variables in statistics is often done to improve the distribution or relationship of data. This can help to meet the assumptions of certain statistical tests and improve the accuracy of results.

2. How do you determine the appropriate transformation for a variable?

The appropriate transformation for a variable can be determined by examining the distribution of the data. If the data is skewed or does not follow a normal distribution, various transformations such as log, square root, or inverse transformations can be applied to improve the distribution.

3. Can transforming variables affect the interpretation of results?

Yes, transforming variables can affect the interpretation of results. The transformed values may have a different scale and may change the magnitude and direction of relationships between variables.

4. Is it necessary to transform variables for all statistical analyses?

No, it is not necessary to transform variables for all statistical analyses. It depends on the type of data and the assumptions of the statistical test being used. Some tests, such as ANOVA, have more lenient assumptions and may not require transformed variables.

5. What are some common reasons for transforming variables in statistics?

Some common reasons for transforming variables in statistics include improving the distribution of data, reducing the influence of outliers, and meeting the assumptions of statistical tests. Transformations may also be used to simplify relationships between variables and make them more interpretable.