News Staying at the Hilton vs Going to Jail

• Thread starter Surrealist
  • Start date

What should be done about Paris Hilton?

• Throw the book at her! Give her the maximum sentence!

Votes: 43 93.5%
  • Let her off the hook. She's too pretty for a place like jail.

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
:rofl:

You're yanking our chains, aren't you. :biggrin:
Nope. And the sausage-making episode was a classic. They've done things I would swiftly cringe at.

Evo

Mentor
Nope. And the sausage-making episode was a classic. They've done things I would swiftly cringe at.
And they did it because they wanted to, not because it meant millions to them. Riiiiight.

Last edited:
I would, Evo. :smile:

For her, a billionaire, I'd think it'd have more to do with publicity at the most. If I were really cynical, I could suggest that she was building up a fan base to support her for the eventual legal problems of a wild life.

*buries head back in math book*

Last edited:
I really don't care who she is. She was driving drunk. Then she was driving with a suspended license while on probabation for her previous crime. She obviously has no respect for the law and this suggests that she isn't concerned with any consequences that may apply to her. She should serve the sentence that everyone else would serve. The only exception that I can see is that she might need to be treated as a prisoner with special needs. It might not be safe for her in the general population.

But really, what kind of medical condition does she have that would prevent her from being in jail? Does she have a methodone clinic in her house? From what I've read she had "medical personnel" recommend that she be removed from jail based on her condition. She refused to eat the food served to her in jail. Was this because she is too spolied to eat jail food or just can't keep it down without her 'medication?' My guess would be heroin, meth, cocaine, or some combination of any of them. Nervous breakdown... I bet.

Could there be any other medical reason that spending time in a cell would be hazardous to someone's health?

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
She apparently was segregated from the rest of the population and only had interaction with the staff/authorities.

Why should she not suffer the consequences of her actions when others must?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PARIS_HILTON?SITE=ORLAG&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT [Broken]

She was sent back to jail.

Paris Hilton was taken from a courtroom screaming and crying Friday seconds after a judge ordered her returned to jail to serve out her entire 45-day sentence for a parole violation in a reckless driving case.

Last edited by a moderator:
hahah , how can i say this , PWNED !!!

Btw , how is it that a sheriff can make the decision to let her off?

Can you smell that? Smells like justice.

Paris has never looked so good.

Art

She apparently was segregated from the rest of the population and only had interaction with the staff/authorities.

Why should she not suffer the consequences of her actions when others must?
The only medical condition I've heard she suffers from is nymphomania, perhaps the frustration of being segregated is killing her :biggrin:

turbo

Gold Member
There are people in jail with very serious medical conditions, and they manage to serve out their sentences under the care of the medical staffs at those jails. It is difficult to see how she might have something that can only be treated in a mansion and not in jail.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
After Brief Respite, Paris Hilton Goes Back to Jail
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10876299
by Carrie Kahn
All Things Considered, June 8, 2007 · Socialite Paris Hilton was ordered back to a jail in Lynwood, Calif., by a judge who ruled that her 45-day sentence must be served in the Los Angeles County facility — not in her Hollywood home. Hilton had been sent home with a tracking device Thursday, in a move officials said was due to medical reasons.
AP News Wire: Latest Headlines
Hilton Sent Back to Jail in Hysterics
from The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES June 8, 2007, 8:05 p.m. ET · Paris Hilton was sent screaming and crying back to jail Friday after a judge ruled that she must serve out her sentence behind bars rather than in the comfort of her Hollywood Hills home.

"It's not right!" shouted Hilton, who violated her probation in a reckless driving case. "Mom!" she cried out to her mother.

Hours earlier, the 26-year-old hotel heiress was taken handcuffed from her home in a black-and-white police car, paparazzi sprinting in pursuit and helicopters broadcasting live from above.

. . .
Hopefully she will learn something from this.

Paris back in prison :
"it sucks to the highest degree"

:rofl:

marlon

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Paris back in prison : "it sucks to the highest degree"

:yuck:

from
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070609/ap_on_en_tv/paris_hilton [Broken]

Sauer (judge who sentenced Hilton) gave no explanation of his ruling to return Hilton back to jail, but his comments throughout the hearing indicated he was affronted by Baca's decision to set aside his instructions and release the celebutante to her Hollywood Hills home.
. . . .
Hilton's lawyers said the reason for her release was an unspecified medical condition. The judge suggested that could be taken care of at jail medical facilities.

Following the hearing, Baca said he decided to put Hilton under house arrest because he was concerned about a serious medical condition he could not disclose, though his further comments suggested psychological problems.

He said he had learned from one of her doctors that she was not taking a certain medication while she was in custody previously and her "inexplicable deterioration" puzzled county psychiatrists.
Somehow the system neglected her medical treatment! She is under psychiatric care and stopping medication could cause deterioration in one's mental state.

A lot of people who go to jail have psychological problems, and perhaps some or much of that is the result of drug and/or alcohol abuse. How does society (the community) help someone like that?
Baca charged that Hilton received a more severe sentence than normal, which he said would have been either no time in jail or being directly placed in home confinement with electronic monitoring.

"The only thing I can detect as special treatment is the amount of her sentence," the sheriff said.
. . . .
How to make the system more fair or consistent? My wife counseled drunk drivers who had 'repeated' convictions, but served little jail time. They'd get into a treatment program, as opposed to jail, but then they'd re-offend.

Despite being reincarcerated, she could still be released early. Inmates are given a day off their terms for every four days of good behavior, and her days in home detention counted as custody days. It appeared that Friday would count as her sixth day. Baca indicated she would serve about 18 more days.
And that is available to anyone.

Hilton's path to jail began Sept. 7, when she failed a sobriety test after police saw her weaving down a street in her Mercedes-Benz on what she said was a late-night run to a hamburger stand.

She pleaded no contest to reckless driving and was sentenced to 36 months' probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

In the months that followed, she was stopped twice by officers who discovered her driving on a suspended license. The second stop landed her in Sauer's courtroom, where he sentenced her to jail.

Evo

Mentor
Somehow the system neglected her medical treatment! She is under psychiatric care and stopping medication could cause deterioration in one's mental state.
No, I read yesterday that she was refusing to eat the prison food and that was the excuse her lawyer asked for her release.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No, I read yesterday that she was refusing to eat the prison food and that was the excuse her lawyer asked for her release.
That may be one factor, and lack of medication another. Or, different people are reporting information, or ????

from the article
He said he had learned from one of her doctors that she was not taking a certain medication while she was in custody previously and her "inexplicable deterioration" puzzled county psychiatrists.
Perhaps she deliberately didn't take her medication, or didn't have it - I don't know. But at some point, without medication, one may loose control and unable to function responsibly - that is a significant consequence and downside for some mentally ill, who get out of control when they abruptly get off their meds.

Certainly she has been pampered and going to jail is probably, for her, emotionally traumatic. But then jail is traumatic for most people.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
From the sheriff's point of view, I think the release came down to risk management.

The judge orders that she serve the full sentence, but tacks on the typical disclaimer that whatever happens in jail is the sheriff's responsibility (at least according to the sheriff's press conference) - i.e. follow my orders, but don't do something stupid and then blame me.

Given the normal punishment for similar offenders, the risk of dealing with Hilton's medical problems and the backlash that could occur if anything happened to her while serving time beyond what the average person would serve outweighed any personal benefits the sheriff would gain by making an example of her.

As for the problem of the average person being released without serving any time, or being released after serving only part of their sentence, it's a problem a lot of communities face. People here voted down a measure that would expand the jail to meet federal guidelines - an expansion that had to occur or risk losing federal funds. The county then found a way around the vote, raising the funds by a different method; a move that ended the political careers of a few county officials - the voters expressed their will at election time and country officials defied them via devious means. That leaves early release of prisoners as the only way to keep receiving federal funds - a move that infuriates voters nearly as much as the county officials' backdoor methods. Those are the sort of things that make we wonder why any sane person would ever run for local office.

:A lot of people who go to jail have psychological problems, and perhaps some or much of that is the result of drug and/or alcohol abuse. How does society (the community) help someone like that?
One can only help people who want to be helped.

While it is not easy, everybody with the right will and attitude can overcome an alcohol or drug addiction. If that will or attitude is not there there is no point in helping.

With regards to the sheriff, I think it would be a good thing to investigate if he was not given any money or other incentives. It is really strange for a sheriff to disobey explicit orders from the judge.

Last edited:

Evo

Mentor
That may be one factor, and lack of medication another. Or, different people are reporting information, or ????
The report that she was refusing to eat was from the correctional facility personnel. It was either a tantrum or a stunt aimed at getting released. Either way the judge is correct, she has nothing wrong that can't be handled by correctional facility medical staff.

Evo

Mentor
With regards to the sheriff, I think it would be a good thing to investigate if he was not given any money or other incentives. It is really strange for a sheriff to disobey explicit orders from the judge.
I was thinking the same thing.

turbo

Gold Member
That kept running through my head yesterday, too. Hilton's parents are super-wealthy and it would be easy for them or their lawyer to arrange favors for those in a position to get her released. It could be something really discrete and hard to track, like securing the person a really high-paying do-nothing job at a non-Hilton business after his or her term expires.

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
turbo-1 said:
That kept running through my head yesterday, too.
I find it hard to believe that this could be true, but I also find it hard to believe that all it takes to get out of a jail sentence is a hunger strike.

Here's an interesting Associsted Press http://www.kcbs.com/topic/ap_news.php?story=AP/APTV/National/a/a/ParisHilton-Sheriff" [Broken] about Sheriff Baca that I first read in the Toronto Star.

Evo

Mentor
Here's an interesting Associsted Press http://www.kcbs.com/topic/ap_news.php?story=AP/APTV/National/a/a/ParisHilton-Sheriff" [Broken] about Sheriff Baca that I first read in the Toronto Star.
No surprise then. I wonder what the bribe was?

russ_watters

Mentor
Well, there is a risk that if she eats much less she'll become one dimensional....

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well, there is a risk that if she eats much less she'll become one dimensional....
Now, that's funny.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whitmore said he understood the media interest in the mystery medical condition but "privacy concerns" kept him mum. An hour later, publicists for the TV show "Entertainment Tonight" blasted out a mass e-mail stating that "Hilton family sources confirm exclusively to Entertainment Tonight that Paris Hilton has been released from jail due to suffering from an extreme rash on her body."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/07/AR2007060700774.html?nav=rss_print/style

Hmm usually stress + rash = herpes.:surprised

Lordy that sounds like natsy red neck gossip don't it?