Steady state in fluid mechanics

In summary, the professor said that a stream is always in a steady state, and that you can remove the acceleration term in the navier-stokes equation.
Nikitin
Hey! When a stream is steady-state, you can cancel the acceleration term in navier-stokes equation, right?

so:

[tex] \rho \vec{a} = 0 = - \nabla P + \rho \vec{g} + \mu \nabla ^2 \vec{V}[/tex]

But there are many terms in the total acceleration which are not dependant on time! The acceleration term in navier stokes can be broken down into https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1379985_10201506247874738_1799136895_n.jpg: Why do the acceleration terms with regards to distance (dx, dy, dz) disappear also? This makes no sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your premiss is incorrect. the acceleration won't necessarily be zero for a steady state flow.

At 02:03 or so the professor says the flow is steady-state and removes the acceleration term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the [itex]\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t}[/itex] term will be zero on account of it is a time dependent quantity and is defined as zero in a steady-state flow. It is an acceleration term and it goes to zero, so in that sense you are right. But the larger "acceleration term" you are trying to zero out is the "convective acceleration" and is not necessarily zero.

Even for a steady state flow, an observer moving with the flow velocity along a streamline can be accelerating (Lagrangian frame of reference). His velocity vector is changing with time. The acceleration equation you wrote down (which is the so called Material Derivative of the velocity) determines his acceleration quantitatively.

Chet

Okay, but why did the professor in the video in post #3 just say "steady state" and zero-out the
[tex] \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt} [/tex] term then? He said nothing about assuming the convective acceleration is zero..

I'm really confused about this... :(

EDIT: AND OOPS, I see I made a typing mistake in the picture in the OP. The velocity differentiated with regards to Z should be multiplied by w.

Because [itex]\frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}[/itex] is not the same as [itex]\frac{D\vec{V}}{Dt}[/itex]. For a steady state flow, all [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex] terms are zero, but not all [itex]\frac{D}{Dt}[/itex] terms are necessarily zero.

Likes 1 person
oh crap. I just noticed that the professor wrote the PARTIAL derivative of u with respect to time, NOT the total derivative, as his acceleration term. How careless of me.

When I watched it I thought the professor wrote up the complete navier-stokes equation, but apparently he zeroed all the convective acceleration terms.

Okay, thanks everybody.

1. What is steady state in fluid mechanics?

Steady state in fluid mechanics refers to a condition in which the properties of a fluid, such as velocity, pressure, and density, remain constant over time and at any given point in the fluid. This means that there is no change in the flow pattern or behavior of the fluid.

2. How is steady state different from unsteady state in fluid mechanics?

Unsteady state, also known as transient state, is the opposite of steady state. In unsteady state, the properties of the fluid are constantly changing over time and at different points in the fluid. This could be due to factors such as changes in flow rate or sudden disturbances in the system.

3. What are some examples of steady state flow?

Steady state flow can be observed in many everyday situations, such as water flowing through a pipe at a constant rate, or air moving through a ventilation system. It can also occur in natural phenomena, such as the steady flow of a river or the constant movement of ocean currents.

4. How is steady state flow analyzed in fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, steady state flow is often analyzed using the principles of continuity, momentum, and energy conservation. These principles help to mathematically describe and predict the behavior of a fluid in a steady state, and are essential in designing and analyzing fluid systems.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding steady state in fluid mechanics?

Understanding steady state in fluid mechanics is important in many engineering and scientific fields. It is crucial in designing and optimizing fluid systems, such as pipelines, pumps, and turbines. It is also necessary in studying natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and ocean currents, and in developing technologies such as air and water filters.