1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Steady state transition matrix

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    Ok, i'm lost. I've an exam coming up so could so with a speedy reply.

This whole transition matrix stuff is not explained at all in our lecture notes. Here's an example question:

"Suppose that a country has a fixed number of voters, all of whom vote for
    either party D or party R. Every year, 1/4 of D voters change to party R and 1/3 of R voters switch to party D. Let xn and yn represent the proportions of
    D and R voters respectively after n years (so that xn + yn = 1).
    (a) Find the transition matrix T for this process.
    (b)Explain the term ”steady state”, and find the steady state in this problem.
    (c)Show that xn and yn tend to the steady state values as n goes to infinite, regardless
    of the values of x0 and y0."

I dont even know what the matrix is suppose to look like...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2010 #2
    The matrix is will have: (3/4 1/3) on the top row and (1/4 2/3) on the bottom row. Do you see why? If you multiply this by the vector (D, R) you get the specified voter switches.

Usually when you are asked to find a steady-state vector one of the eigenvalues of the matrix will be 1, and you need to find the eigenvector corresponding to this eigenvalue. The reason this is called a "steady-state" vector is that the transition matrix does not change it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook