Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stealthy Antennas...

1. Feb 22, 2016 #1

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I spotted this "palm tree" in Santa Clara a few days ago. It's in a church parking lot, near some other real palm trees. Pretty clever way for the church to make some extra money on the side from a cell phone provider.

My girlfriend spotted a much stealthier cell antenna tower disguised as a pine tree -- I'll try to post a picture of it soon if I can figure out how to get a picture of it without getting run over (it's on a highway offramp).

What stealthy cell tower antennas or HAM/other antennas have you spotted? :smile:

Cell Tower Palm Tree in Santa Clara.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

cool ....
    gosh will have to hunt through my first USA trip in 1999, pretty sure I got a photo or 2 of southern Colorado cell towers looking like pine trees

will look when I get home tonite

Dave

4. Feb 22, 2016 #3
    I saw an abandoned cell phone tower in Bali that was completely covered with vines, Planet of the Apes style.

5. Feb 22, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, I don't think that counts. Unless of course, they re-activate the tower and don't trim the vines...:smile:

6. Feb 22, 2016 #5
    Sorry. It was the best I could do.

7. Feb 22, 2016 #6
    I found a picture of a ninja parade online. I'm sure some of them had radios. :smile:

8. Feb 23, 2016 #7

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I have lots of pictures with invisible cell towers. At least I think they are cell towers. :wink:

9. Feb 23, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

found it !! :smile:

cellphone_tower.jpg

here's the same tower ... I managed to find it in google street view ( serious exercise !)

colorado cell tower1.jpg

the view below is from close enough to the same spot that I took my photo from

colorado cell tower2.jpg

and finally a google earth location map ( within the red oval) .... not too far nth of Colorado Springs .....

colorado cell tower location.JPG

cheers
    Dave

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook