Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stealthy Antennas...

1. Feb 22, 2016 #1

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I spotted this "palm tree" in Santa Clara a few days ago. It's in a church parking lot, near some other real palm trees. Pretty clever way for the church to make some extra money on the side from a cell phone provider.

My girlfriend spotted a much stealthier cell antenna tower disguised as a pine tree -- I'll try to post a picture of it soon if I can figure out how to get a picture of it without getting run over (it's on a highway offramp).

What stealthy cell tower antennas or HAM/other antennas have you spotted? :smile:

Cell Tower Palm Tree in Santa Clara.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cool ....
    gosh will have to hunt through my first USA trip in 1999, pretty sure I got a photo or 2 of southern Colorado cell towers looking like pine trees

will look when I get home tonite

Dave

4. Feb 22, 2016 #3
    I saw an abandoned cell phone tower in Bali that was completely covered with vines, Planet of the Apes style.

5. Feb 22, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, I don't think that counts. Unless of course, they re-activate the tower and don't trim the vines...:smile:

6. Feb 22, 2016 #5
    Sorry. It was the best I could do.

7. Feb 22, 2016 #6
    I found a picture of a ninja parade online. I'm sure some of them had radios. :smile:

8. Feb 23, 2016 #7

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I have lots of pictures with invisible cell towers. At least I think they are cell towers. :wink:

9. Feb 23, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

found it !! :smile:

cellphone_tower.jpg

here's the same tower ... I managed to find it in google street view ( serious exercise !)

colorado cell tower1.jpg

the view below is from close enough to the same spot that I took my photo from

colorado cell tower2.jpg

and finally a google earth location map ( within the red oval) .... not too far nth of Colorado Springs .....

colorado cell tower location.JPG

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook