STEP question, I don't know what it is asking

• Thread starter Venomily
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving integrals involving sine and cosine terms by substituting suggested expressions and treating them as two separate equations. The main confusion is about how to solve for A and B in the resulting equation. The expert suggests taking the derivative with respect to x and accounting for the f(x) components of A and B.
Venomily
question 5.

I am stuck on the last sentence. Please don't tell me what to do, just what they mean.

Attachments

• 2004 STEP 2.pdf
    461.6 KB · Views: 288
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What equation do you get if you make the substitutions suggested? Can you solve the integrals on the RHS? Having solved them, you will have expressions involving sin(t) and cos(t) on both sides. Treat this as two equations, one involving only the sin terms and one involving only the cos terms.

Which sentence are you confused about?

Electronic calculators are not permitted? This just means you can't bring a calculator to use, you must use pencil and paper and the math tables they provide.

or are you talking about problem 13.

EDIT: Oops missed the Question 5 reference. Disregard my response...

Last edited:
haruspex said:
What equation do you get if you make the substitutions suggested? Can you solve the integrals on the RHS? Having solved them, you will have expressions involving sin(t) and cos(t) on both sides. Treat this as two equations, one involving only the sin terms and one involving only the cos terms.

I don't know what equation I'll get. How do I make the substitution?

"Use the expression (**) to find A and B by substituting for f(t) and f(x) in (*) and equating coefficients of sint and cost".

@Bolded, just what? :bugeye: how can i possibly 'substitute' f(t) and f(x) into (*)? if it means I set the expressions equal: [*] = [**] this doesn't yield anything.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Which sentence are you confused about?

Electronic calculators are not permitted? This just means you can't bring a calculator to use, you must use pencil and paper and the math tables they provide.

or are you talking about problem 13.

I said it at the top of the OP: question 5 :smile:.

Basically, your second equation -- related to (**) -- into your first equation -- related to (*).

So, you need to solve for A and B in this equation:

Asin(t)+Bsin(t) = ∫(0->pi) [f(x) sin(x+t)]dxShould be relatively simple. Just take the derivative of each side with respect to x, or you can parse out the integral of f(x)sin(x+t)... I would chose the first choice.

Edit: don't forget that A and B both have f(x) components if you try and take the derivative of the substituted equation.

johnkubik said:
Basically, your second equation -- related to (**) -- into your first equation -- related to (*).

So, you need to solve for A and B in this equation:

Asin(t)+Bsin(t) = ∫(0->pi) [f(x) sin(x+t)]dxShould be relatively simple. Just take the derivative of each side with respect to x, or you can parse out the integral of f(x)sin(x+t)... I would chose the first choice.

Edit: don't forget that A and B both have f(x) components if you try and take the derivative of the substituted equation.

I really don't see where this is going, both equations are identical:

sin(t).A+cos(t).B = ∫(0->pi) [f(x) sin(x+t)]dxThis is the same thing as:sin(t).∫(0->pi)[f(x)cos(x)]dx +cos(t).∫(0->pi)[f(x)sinx]dx = ∫(0->pi) [f(x) sin(x+t)]dx

If I tried to differentiate I would just get:

sin(t)f(x)cos(x) dx + cos(t)f(x)sin(x) dx = f(x)sin(x+t) dx

You can't do anything with this equation.

I think you are approaching the derivative wrong.

johnkubik said:
I think you are approaching the derivative wrong.

please show me what you think the derivative should be.

1. What is a STEP question?

A STEP question is a type of scientific inquiry where the researcher asks a specific question in order to guide their research and gather relevant data.

2. How do I know if I am asking the right STEP question?

The right STEP question should be clear, specific, and testable. It should also align with your research goals and objectives.

3. Can I change my STEP question during the research process?

Yes, it is common for scientists to refine or modify their STEP question as they gather more information and data during their research. This can help to ensure that the question is relevant and focused.

4. Are there different types of STEP questions?

Yes, there are several types of STEP questions, including descriptive, comparative, and experimental questions. Each type serves a different purpose in the research process.

5. How do I formulate a STEP question?

To formulate a STEP question, start by identifying a topic of interest and then narrow it down to a specific question that can be answered through research. You can also consult with other scientists or conduct a literature review to help develop your question.