Find Length X in Triangle: Learn How to Calculate It

In summary, the length x is being asked and FH and HC are both perpendicular. The answer is 5, but it is not clear how to obtain it. Klaas provides a hint to look for similar triangles, specifically ones that share two angles. This leads to the equation x = 4 * CF / BF.
ketanco
what is the length x? (FH and HC perpendicular too, which I missed to write)
I am totally stuck can not make any progress on this question. Answer should be 5. I don't know how to obtain it

View attachment 8571

Attachments

• 20181108_212017 - 4.jpg
    20181108_212017 - 4.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 52
Mathematics news on Phys.org
ketanco said:
FH and HC perpendicular too
Does that mean that angleCHF = 90?
Your writing is terrible!
AB = 9 and EF = 4?

Not important but why is there no point G (you jumped from F to H!)

ketanco said:
what is the length x? (FH and HC perpendicular too, which I missed to write)
I am totally stuck can not make any progress on this question. Answer should be 5. I don't know how to obtain it

Hint: Which triangles are similar to each other?
(Two triangles are similar if they have 2 angles in common.)

Once you get Klaas' hint, you should "see" that x = 4 * CF / BF

Related to Find Length X in Triangle: Learn How to Calculate It

1. What is the formula for finding the missing length in a triangle?

The formula for finding the missing length in a triangle is the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. How do I label the sides of a triangle for the calculation?

The sides of a triangle are typically labeled as A, B, and C, with the side opposite angle A being labeled as a, the side opposite angle B being labeled as b, and the side opposite angle C being labeled as c. It is important to label the sides correctly to ensure the correct calculation.

3. Can the Pythagorean theorem be used for all types of triangles?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can only be used for right triangles, where one of the angles is a 90-degree angle. For other types of triangles, different formulas and methods must be used to find the missing length.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the missing length in a triangle?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the missing length in a triangle. These include using trigonometric ratios (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) or using the Law of Cosines and Law of Sines, which are useful for solving non-right triangles.

5. How can I apply this knowledge to real-life situations?

The ability to find missing lengths in triangles is useful in a variety of real-life situations, such as in construction, engineering, and navigation. For example, knowing how to calculate the length of a ladder needed to reach a certain height on a building, or the distance between two points on a map, requires an understanding of triangle length calculations.