Step response of a RC circuit asking for i(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the current going through a capacitor in a DC circuit, which is causing confusion for the person asking the question. They are seeking resources or explanations to better understand the concept and solve the problem. The conversation also mentions a change in charge and the role of different batteries in the circuit.
danielerbe

Homework Statement

In attachment

Homework Equations

i don't understand why it would be asking for the current going through the capcitor, in a dc circuit it should be an open circuit but there will be a voltage over it... after searching through lecture notes and textbook can't find anything relating to I(t) in a RC DC circuit.
could anyone point me in the direction of a recourse that will explain this to me or give me some idea about what the qestion is asking?... thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 313
Physics news on Phys.org
danielerbe said:

Homework Statement

In attachment

Homework Equations

i don't understand why it would be asking for the current going through the capcitor, in a dc circuit it should be an open circuit but there will be a voltage over it... after searching through lecture notes and textbook can't find anything relating to I(t) in a RC DC circuit.
could anyone point me in the direction of a recourse that will explain this to me or give me some idea about what the qestion is asking?... thanks in advance.
When the applied voltage changes, there is a brief current that depends on the value of R and C. What is the charge in the capacitor with the 30 V battery connected? What happens to the charge when that battery is removed and the 12V battery is connected? Since there is a change in charge what is dQ/dt?

AM

1. What is the step response of a RC circuit?

The step response of a RC circuit is a measure of how the circuit responds to a sudden change or step in the input voltage. It is a graph of the output voltage or current over time, showing how the circuit reaches its steady-state value after the step input.

2. How is the step response of a RC circuit calculated?

The step response of a RC circuit can be calculated using the time constant (τ) of the circuit, which is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C). It can be represented by the equation V(t) = V0(1-e^(-t/τ)), where V0 is the initial voltage, t is time, and e is the base of the natural logarithm.

3. What is the significance of the time constant in a RC circuit's step response?

The time constant (τ) of a RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the circuit reaches its steady-state value after a step input. A smaller time constant means the circuit responds faster, while a larger time constant means it takes longer for the circuit to reach its steady-state value.

4. How does a change in resistance or capacitance affect the step response of a RC circuit?

A change in resistance or capacitance can affect the time constant (τ) of a RC circuit, which in turn affects the step response. A higher resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time constant and slower response, while a lower resistance or capacitance will result in a shorter time constant and faster response.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the step response of a RC circuit?

Understanding the step response of a RC circuit is important in many practical applications, such as in electronic filters, motor control circuits, and signal processing circuits. It can also help in troubleshooting and analyzing the behavior of electronic circuits. Additionally, it is used in circuit design to optimize the response time and performance of a circuit.