Stepper motor current/torque model

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an expression for the current in a stepper motor coil, which resembles a trapezoid in the time domain. The speaker is trying to figure out how to model the torque behavior for different RPS, and their idea is to integrate over time to get the whole pulse. However, they are not interested in the charge, so they plan to divide the result with the pulse length to get an average current. The speaker also mentions that the current can be capped by altering the PWM ON cycle, and they want to find the PWM with the highest ON width. They then ask about the factors that determine the rise and fall time of the current pulse, as well as the limitations of the resistance and PWM.
liquidFuzz
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible to model torque based on current in coils?
I've set up an expression for the current in a stepper motor coil. Each current pulse resembles a trapezoid in the time domain. Now I'm trying to figure out how to best use this to model the torque behavior for different RPS. My ide was to integrate over time to get the whole pulse

[tex] \int_{t0}^{t1} i_1(t) dt + \int_{t1}^{t2} i_2(t) dt + \int_{t2}^{t3} i_3(t) dt [/tex]

However I'm not interested in the charge, I*t. Thus I figured I could divide the result with pulse length of the longest pulse possible, i.e. a pulse at low RPS, thus getting a average current for a pulse at different RPS. Does this make any sense..?

Edit, one more thing, the current is capped by altering the pwm ON cycle in the duty cycle. This made me think I should try to find the pwm with the highest ON with of the pwm signal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
liquidFuzz said:
I've set up an expression for the current in a stepper motor coil. Each current pulse resembles a trapezoid in the time domain.
Does the voltage and inductance of the winding decide the rise and fall time of the current pulse ?
Does the resistance of the winding limit the current, or is that done only by PWM.

The motor torque is the product of the current and the magnetic field from the poles.
Is the permanent magnetic field of the rotor also a trapezoidal profile ?
How does the wound stator magnetic field profile react with the rotor PM pole profile ?

Does RPS mean Radians or Revolutions Per Second, or should it be poles/second ?

1. What is a stepper motor current/torque model?

A stepper motor current/torque model is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the current supplied to a stepper motor and the resulting torque output. It takes into account various factors such as the motor's physical characteristics, the drive circuitry, and the load on the motor.

2. Why is a current/torque model important for stepper motors?

A current/torque model is important for stepper motors because it allows for accurate prediction and control of the motor's performance. This is especially useful in applications that require precise positioning and movement, such as in robotics and automation.

3. How is a current/torque model developed?

A current/torque model is typically developed through experimentation and data analysis. This involves measuring the motor's current and torque output at various operating conditions and using this data to create a mathematical equation or curve that represents the relationship between the two.

4. Can a current/torque model be used for all types of stepper motors?

While the basic principles of a current/torque model apply to all stepper motors, the specific parameters and equations may vary depending on the type of motor. For example, a model for a permanent magnet stepper motor may differ from that of a hybrid stepper motor.

5. How accurate is a current/torque model for predicting motor performance?

The accuracy of a current/torque model depends on the quality and quantity of data used to develop it. Generally, a well-developed model can provide accurate predictions within a certain range of operating conditions. However, external factors such as temperature and wear may affect the actual performance of the motor.