Stepper motor just vibrates in CCW

In summary: If it does, you know you have the right sequence. If it doesn't, you'll need to reverse the sequence.
toomy
I have a 5-wire unipolar J835L. I have not been able to find the datasheet on it, but I have found this diagram:

293yi5j.jpg

also, the motor has the following information printed on its label:

Uni-Polar, Bi-Filar
120 Ohms
7.5° per step

I have connected a ULN2003A between the uC and the motor
where i connect the wires purple, blue, yellow then orange

I drove the circuit in order
1 00000001
2 00000100
3 00000010
4 00001000
and than return back again
I set each step and then wait for 100ms

this was working successfully but when i tried to reverse the rotation so it rotate in CCw the motor just vibrate and do not move as the CW .
Can anyone give me a pointer?

regards
toomy

Engineering news on Phys.org
toomy,

Shortcut for finding the proper wiring sequence

Connect the center tap(s) to the power source (or current-Limiting resistor.) Connect the remaining 4 wires in any pattern. If it doesn't work, you only need try these 2 swaps...

1 2 4 8 - (arbitrary first wiring order)
1 2 8 4 - switch end pair
1 8 2 4 - switch middle pair

You're finished when the motor turns smoothly in either direction. If the motor turns in the opposite direction from desired, reverse the wires so that ABCD would become DCBA.

taken from: http://www.stepperworld.com/Tutorials/pgUnipolarTutorial.htm

You might give that a try. You might also go to the link for a very good tutorial.

Fish

thank you fish
I tried your suggest but it is not working

However, I found the correct way to run it
it just have to wait the other switches so it rotate correctly
1 00001000
2 00001010
3 00000010
4 00000110
5 00000100
6 00000101
7 00000001

Without trying to reverse engineer this whole thread ... Your last pattern looks like it does half-step operation, whereas the original pattern is simple full-step. Half-step gives a little extra boost to the output torque because (half the time) it energizes two coils. So maybe your motor is sticky in one direction for some reason?

Otherwise I think you still have the wrong wiring sequence. I usually just do an exhaustive search by powering each coil by hand -- briefly connect two wires from the power-supply to each coil and see what the motor does. Then check a few sequences, if the motor jerks back and forth you have the wrong sequence but if it moves in one direction without hesitation you've probably discovered the right sequence. Once you've got one right sequence, just reversing that order should go the other direction. I haven't tried Fish's test protocol but it sounds like it's an logical minimization of my brute force methodology and it should work.

If you have another motor, give it a try to see if it behaves the same.

1. What could be causing my stepper motor to only vibrate in the counterclockwise direction?

There are a few possible reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the stepper motor is not receiving enough power. Check to make sure the power supply is providing the correct voltage and amperage for your specific motor. Another potential cause could be a wiring issue, so double check all connections to ensure they are secure and properly connected. It is also possible that the motor driver is not functioning correctly, so try replacing it with a known working driver.

2. How can I troubleshoot my stepper motor if it only vibrates in one direction?

First, check the wiring connections to make sure they are correct and secure. Then, try adjusting the motor driver's current limit to see if that resolves the issue. If the motor still only vibrates in one direction, it is possible that the motor driver is faulty and needs to be replaced. Additionally, make sure the motor is receiving enough power and that the motor and driver are compatible.

3. Will using a different power supply affect my stepper motor's performance?

Yes, using a different power supply can significantly affect a stepper motor's performance. It is important to use a power supply that provides the correct voltage and amperage for your specific motor. Using an incorrect power supply can cause the motor to vibrate, overheat, or even be damaged.

4. Can a damaged motor driver cause a stepper motor to only vibrate in one direction?

Yes, a damaged motor driver can cause a stepper motor to only vibrate in one direction. If the driver is not functioning properly, it may not be sending the correct signals to the motor, causing it to only move in one direction or not at all. Try replacing the motor driver with a known working one to see if that resolves the issue.

5. Is it normal for a stepper motor to vibrate while not moving?

Some vibration is normal for a stepper motor, especially when it is holding a position. However, if the motor is vibrating continuously or excessively, it could indicate a problem with the power supply, wiring, or motor driver. It is important to troubleshoot and address any issues to ensure the motor is functioning correctly and efficiently.