Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unipolar stepper, bipolar driver

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    Greetings.
    I got an unidentified 6-wires stepper motor, which i suppose is unipolar.
    But, the motor drivers i have is for bipolar ones.
    As i understand, a bipolar driver can drive a unipolar motor, by plugging in the ends of the coils and leaving the middle wires hanging.
    Is it that simple or are there some caveats?

Second problem, how can i identify which wires do what?
    There are two trios of interconducting wires, in each one there is a pair that gives the most resistance on rotor when shorted, but when i plugged these two pairs, the motor does not work in a consistent way - either vibrate in place or starts moving back and forth. i tried swapping one pair and different step rates to no avail.
    What can be wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2
    Read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor#Bipolar_motor
    Yes, an H-bridge usually can be used to drive a unipolar motor by driving the two ends and leaving the center-tap wires hanging. Read about various types of steppers in above URL. Based on stepper motor voltage and current ratings, set up the two H-bridge drivers, with series resistors if necessary, and drive the stepper at 1 or 2 Hz with the two H-bridges in phase quadrature. My experience is that many H-bridge drivers are not full-rated below ~ 6 or 8 volts, which may be too high for some steppers.
    See the schematic on page 2 of:
    http://www.ozitronics.com/docs/k158.pdf
    for two 5-50 volt H-bridge drivers using P-type and N-type mosfets.
    Two popular integrated H-bridges are the L298N and the LMD18200.
    Bob S

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook