1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Steps in proof for Eotvos' law

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1
    REVuMFZm.jpe

I have purchased an article after recommendation on wikipedia that as far as I am aware proves eotvos law. Here is a quote from wikipedia from this site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eötvös_rule:

''John Lennard-Jones and Corner published (1940) a derivation of the equation by means of statistical mechanics''

I unfortuntaely didn't get the proof. In the attachment at the top of this post which is from the article I wondered if someone could show the arithmetics from (9) to the place that I have marked as eotvos law.

My attempt: No use writing anything unfortunately.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2
    Rename
    $$N_s k \log() V^{2/3}\rightarrow -\kappa $$
    $$(\psi_0-\phi_0) V^{2/3}/\kappa\rightarrow T_0 $$

note that the logarithm is negative and constant in temperature.

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3
    Thank you for the answer! I also have tried to find the partition function log(F) somewhere on the internet. But I can not find the same formula. Could someone give me a link to this formula fron the internet and show how it is rewritten to log(F) in the attachment in the beginning of the first post.

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Can you tell us the reference? I'm a bit puzzled by the notation of the two pages you provided in #1. Usually you have the partion sum ##Z##, which is related to the grand potential ##\Phi=-T \ln Z## (in units where ##k_B=1##) which is a function of ##T##, ##\mu##, and ##V## with the relations to entropy, conserved particle number, and pressure given by
    $$S=-\partial_{T} \Phi, \quad N=-\partial_{\mu} \Phi, \quad P=-\partial_V \Phi.$$

6. Sep 30, 2016 #5
    This is the page where I bought the article:

http://pubs.rsc.org/EN/content/articlelanding/1940/tf/tf9403601156#!divAbstract

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted