Steps in proof for Eotvos' law

• A
  • Thread starter georg gill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Proof
In summary, the article says that John Lennard-Jones and Corner derived a derivation of the equation by using statistical mechanics.
georg gill
REVuMFZm.jpe

I have purchased an article after recommendation on wikipedia that as far as I am aware proves eotvos law. Here is a quote from wikipedia from this site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eötvös_rule:

''John Lennard-Jones and Corner published (1940) a derivation of the equation by means of statistical mechanics'' I unfortuntaely didn't get the proof. In the attachment at the top of this post which is from the article I wondered if someone could show the arithmetics from (9) to the place that I have marked as eotvos law.

My attempt: No use writing anything unfortunately.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rename
$$N_s k \log() V^{2/3}\rightarrow -\kappa $$
$$(\psi_0-\phi_0) V^{2/3}/\kappa\rightarrow T_0 $$

note that the logarithm is negative and constant in temperature.

Thank you for the answer! I also have tried to find the partition function log(F) somewhere on the internet. But I can not find the same formula. Could someone give me a link to this formula fron the internet and show how it is rewritten to log(F) in the attachment in the beginning of the first post.

Can you tell us the reference? I'm a bit puzzled by the notation of the two pages you provided in #1. Usually you have the partion sum ##Z##, which is related to the grand potential ##\Phi=-T \ln Z## (in units where ##k_B=1##) which is a function of ##T##, ##\mu##, and ##V## with the relations to entropy, conserved particle number, and pressure given by
$$S=-\partial_{T} \Phi, \quad N=-\partial_{\mu} \Phi, \quad P=-\partial_V \Phi.$$

vanhees71 said:
Can you tell us the reference? I'm a bit puzzled by the notation of the two pages you provided in #1. Usually you have the partion sum ##Z##, which is related to the grand potential ##\Phi=-T \ln Z## (in units where ##k_B=1##) which is a function of ##T##, ##\mu##, and ##V## with the relations to entropy, conserved particle number, and pressure given by
$$S=-\partial_{T} \Phi, \quad N=-\partial_{\mu} \Phi, \quad P=-\partial_V \Phi.$$

This is the page where I bought the article:

http://pubs.rsc.org/EN/content/articlelanding/1940/tf/tf9403601156#!divAbstract

Last edited:

1. What is Eotvos' law?

Eotvos' law, also known as the Eotvos effect, is a physical law that describes the relationship between gravity and inertial mass. It states that the gravitational force experienced by an object is proportional to its inertial mass and the gravitational constant.

2. What are the steps in proving Eotvos' law?

The steps in proving Eotvos' law involve conducting experiments to measure the acceleration of objects with different inertial masses at different locations on the Earth's surface. The results of these experiments are then compared to the predicted values based on the law, and if they match, it provides evidence for the validity of Eotvos' law.

3. How was Eotvos' law first discovered?

Eotvos' law was first discovered by Hungarian physicist Baron Loránd Eötvös in the late 19th century. He conducted experiments using a torsion balance to measure the gravitational force on objects of different materials and masses, and his results supported the law's predictions.

4. What is the significance of Eotvos' law?

Eotvos' law has significant implications in the study of gravity and its effects on objects. It has been used to support Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is based on the idea that gravity is not a force, but rather the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy.

5. Are there any exceptions to Eotvos' law?

While Eotvos' law has been proven to hold true in most cases, there have been some exceptions observed. For example, in extreme circumstances such as near black holes or in the presence of strong gravitational fields, the law may not apply. Additionally, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that Eotvos' law may not be valid at the quantum level.