Stereo out to monaural mic in Media Center

• Thread starter FrogMN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary, the person is looking for options to record cassette tapes on their new laptop with only a monaural mic input. Option A and B may not work, but they could try using a USB TV tuner card. They are also considering returning the laptop and finding one with a stereo line in plug.
FrogMN
I recently purchased a laptop with Windows Media Center XP with the intention of being able to archive several cassette tapes. My stereo tape deck, however, is a long way away form my desktop model Media center PC which has a line in connection (and I have successfully recoreded this way), but my new Laptop merely has a monaural mic in (no line in). What are my alternatives to recording my tapes? Can I:
A - Connect the Stereo headphone out or stereo audio RCA plugs out into my monaural mic input on the laptop OR
B- Threre is a TV connection "box" that came with the laptop for video and the video sound RCA inputs - could I just use the Stereo RCA outs on my tape deck and RCA stereo ins on this box to record the audio of the cassettes and simply ignor the video RCA yellow plug?

C - Any other options? I've heard of a connector from stereo
out to a USB monaural mic?
Thanks for any suggestions - or should I return my new laptop and hunt for one with a stereo LINE in plug?

Computer science news on Phys.org
1) You don't need Windows Media Center to archive your cassette tapes.
2) Option A doesn't work
3) Option B might work. It depends if the RCA stereo is In or Out. Most likely it is Out.

If your goal is to record audio in stereo from your tapes to your computer with your current setup you probably won't be able to. I do kind of find it hard to believe that your laptop doesn't have Line-In. Usually you get (Line Out)(Line In)(Mic) connectors.

What you can do is go to another computer that does have line-in and use the Windows Recorder to capture the sound from line-in. You could also buy a usb tv tuner card and use the RCA in as a means to record.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/7a8d/

FAQ: Stereo out to monaural mic in Media Center

1. What is "Stereo out to monaural mic in Media Center"?

"Stereo out to monaural mic in Media Center" is a feature that allows you to convert the stereo output of your media center into a monaural signal that can be captured by a microphone.

2. How does "Stereo out to monaural mic in Media Center" work?

This feature works by combining the left and right audio channels of your stereo output into a single mono signal that can be captured by a microphone. It is typically used for recording purposes when only one microphone input is available.

3. Can I use this feature to connect multiple microphones to my media center?

No, "Stereo out to monaural mic in Media Center" is designed to be used with one microphone only. If you want to connect multiple microphones, you will need to use a mixer or an audio interface with multiple inputs.

4. Is there a difference in sound quality between using this feature and directly connecting a microphone to my media center?

In most cases, there should not be a noticeable difference in sound quality. However, using this feature may result in a slight decrease in audio quality due to the conversion process from stereo to mono.

5. How do I enable "Stereo out to monaural mic in Media Center" on my device?

The method for enabling this feature may vary depending on your specific media center. Generally, you will need to access the audio settings and look for an option to change the output from stereo to mono. Consult your media center's user manual for more detailed instructions.

Back