1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sterling approximation of Beta Function

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-11-1_15-37-21.png
    2. Relevant equations
    upload_2016-11-1_15-37-31.png
    upload_2016-11-1_15-37-41.png
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I think this problem is probably a lot simpler than I am making it out to be. However, when I apply sterling's approx., I get a very nasty equation that does not simplify easily.
    upload_2016-11-1_15-39-48.png

One of the biggest problems I have though is dealing with that n^x term. it seems to me that as n approaches infinity, the outcome depends heavily on whether x is a positive or negative integer, or if its zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Rearrange it to:

[itex]n^x B(x,n) =\Gamma(x) n^x \frac{\Gamma(n)}{\Gamma(n+x)}[/itex]

So what you're really interested in is the limit of

[itex]n^x \frac{\Gamma(n)}{\Gamma(n+x)}[/itex]

Use Sterling's approximation:

[itex]\Gamma(n) \approx n^{n+\frac{1}{2}} \sqrt{2 \pi} e^{-n}[/itex]
    [itex]\Gamma(n+x) \approx (n+x)^{n+x+\frac{1}{2}} \sqrt{2 \pi} e^{-(n+x)}[/itex]

Write [itex](n+x)^{n+x+\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] as [itex](n(1+\frac{x}{n}))^{n+x +\frac{1}{2}} = n^{n+x+\frac{1}{2}} (1+\frac{x}{n})^{n+x+\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]
    [itex]= n^{n+\frac{1}{2}} n^x (1+\frac{x}{n})^{n} (1+\frac{x}{n})^{x+\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

So
    [itex]\Gamma(n+x) \approx n^{n+\frac{1}{2}} n^x (1+\frac{x}{n})^{n} (1+\frac{x}{n})^{x+\frac{1}{2}} \sqrt{2 \pi} e^{-(n+x)}[/itex]

Now, you can just use a fact about [itex]e[/itex]: [itex]e^x = lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (1+\frac{x}{n})^n[/itex]

4. Nov 1, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Suggest using the simplified Stirling formula without the ## \sqrt{2 \pi n} ##.Then the result follows immediately with ## ln(n+x-1)=ln(n) ## in the limit that n approaches infinity... editing...You can include the ## \sqrt{2 \pi n} ## but in the limit that n approaches infinity, this puts the same factor in the numerator that it does in the denominator.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  5. Nov 1, 2016 #4
    Thanks to both of you! The key to solving that problem noticing the what Steven showed, that
    Then the entire problem simplifies quite nicely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted