1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration problem : Beta function related

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the problem is in the figure

2. Relevant equations

beta function = ∫u^x-1 * (1-u)^y-1 du " the integral is form 0 to 1"

3. The attempt at a solution

to use the beta function the integral must be from 0 to 1 but this problem is from 0 to a
    so i let X^2=a^2 * t
    and i got from it x, dx . the integral became from 0 to 1 and everything seemed fine till i found that the (1-x)^0.5 will be (1-a root t)^0.5 which isn't the general forum of the beta function. so i hope any1 will help me or tell me if there's another way to solve this integral without the beta function if it's possible

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could just do the u-substitution u=1-x. So just expand x^4=(1-u)^4 and integrate term by term.

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3

hmm ty for this answer it worked out well.but don't u know any solution for it by using beta function since the problem in the book was after that lesson

5. Jan 16, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, your original integral is an 'incomplete beta function' if that's what your are after.

6. Jan 18, 2012 #5
    yea i figured that after awhile. anyway thanks alot for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook