Still confused: Physics or Astronomy?

In summary, if you are undecided about which major to choose, you should choose physics if you want to pursue a career in education or research. There are many jobs in physics, while there are few jobs in astronomy.
starstruck_
Hey everyone!
In a dilemma again, oops.
I'm in the physics and astronomy program in university - going into my second year. I've completed courses for Astronomy and Physics in first year (same courses except astronomy has an extra - astronomy- course).

Now that I'm selecting courses for second year, stuff starts to branch out a bit. Where the astronomy stream has an astronomy course, physics has an extra lab course.

I'm not sure which of the streams to choose.
I do want to take a cosmology course in 4th year but I'm sure I can do that in either stream.
From your personal experience/ the skills that either major would allow you to achieve, what major would you suggest?

I may or may not go for gradschool afterward (I am also simultaneously enrolled in a concurrent BEd. program so I'll have a teaching degree as well when I graduate).

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me tell you exactly what you should do... after all I know you better than you know yourself and ... wait! ? No I don't. I don't see much difference in the two paths if you are not going into future graduate studies and research. So pick the one you'd rather do IF you go on to do graduate work.

If you are still can't decide then flip a coin. (You flip it, and pay close attention to how disappointed or excited you feel about how it lands. That'll tell you what you really want to do.)

Likes plasmon_shmasmon and starstruck_
Avoid the decision and just do both.

Likes plasmon_shmasmon and starstruck_
Unless you want to be an astronomer, choose physics. There are very few jobs in astronomy, while physics jobs, including in the field of education, are plentiful.

Likes symbolipoint
alantheastronomer said:
Unless you want to be an astronomer, choose physics. There are very few jobs in astronomy, while physics jobs, including in the field of education, are plentiful.

Even if you choose to do grad school? Are astronomy jobs more plentiful then- I’m assuming both streams allow me to pursue cosmology later on?

Honestly the only thing holding astronomy higher than physics is because I landed a research job in first year that I’ll continue to have.

starstruck_ said:
Even if you choose to do grad school? Are astronomy jobs more plentiful then
I assumed you were going to grad school - there are courses in physics in high schools, so there's a demand for high school physics teachers; there is no corresponding demand for astronomy teachers...
starstruck_ said:
I'm assuming both streams allow me to pursue cosmology later on?
Yes they will - that's the reason I suggested physics over astronomy; it provides you with more options without limiting your choices. I can tell by your moniker where your true passion lies...so if you prefer astronomy then by all means follow your heart, but choosing a path in physics won't preclude you from doing that.

Likes starstruck_ and symbolipoint
alantheastronomer said:
I assumed you were going to grad school - there are courses in physics in high schools, so there's a demand for high school physics teachers; there is no corresponding demand for astronomy teachers... Yes they will - that's the reason I suggested physics over astronomy; it provides you with more options without limiting your choices. I can tell by your moniker where your true passion lies...so if you prefer astronomy then by all means follow your heart, but choosing a path in physics won't preclude you from doing that.

Thank you! This was extremely helpful!

I’ve looked through the course calendars and it’s a pretty big difference come third and fourth year, I’ll just stick to physics and take that cosmology course or some other astronomy courses in 4/5th year. Best of both worlds? xD

1. What is the difference between physics and astronomy?

Physics is a science that studies the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy. It focuses on understanding the physical world through experiments and mathematical models. Astronomy, on the other hand, is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of celestial objects such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also involves the observation and interpretation of their movements and interactions.

2. Can I study both physics and astronomy?

Yes, it is possible to study both physics and astronomy. In fact, many universities offer joint or combined degree programs that allow students to study both subjects. However, it is important to note that these two fields have different focuses and may require different skill sets.

3. Which field has more job opportunities, physics or astronomy?

Both physics and astronomy have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as research, education, engineering, and technology. It ultimately depends on your interests and skills. If you are interested in studying the fundamental principles of the universe, astronomy may be a better fit for you. If you are more interested in the practical applications of physics, such as developing new technologies, then physics may be a better choice.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to study physics or astronomy?

Yes, a solid understanding of mathematics is crucial for studying both physics and astronomy. These fields involve complex mathematical concepts and equations that are essential for understanding and solving problems. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and statistics before pursuing studies in physics or astronomy.

5. Are there any common career paths for physics and astronomy majors?

Some common career paths for physics and astronomy majors include research scientists, engineers, software developers, data analysts, and educators. However, these fields also open up opportunities in other industries such as finance, healthcare, and aerospace. Many graduates also go on to pursue higher education, such as graduate or doctoral degrees, in their respective fields.