1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Still Water as an Approximate Blackbody

1. Aug 24, 2015 #1
    Can the temperature of a still water be calculated using Planck's Blackbody Radiation? For instance, I have the intensity image of water (of course, this is considered still, as it seems that it is currently stopped in time), and I want to calculate the temperature of the water, is it possible?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer
    In principle, given emissivity as a function of wave length and temperature. You might be able to "calibrate" an IR thermometer versus a regular thermometer to do the "heavy lifting;" but, I'd be very suspicious of angle of incidence, container effects, and other interference.

4. Aug 24, 2015 #3
    But can I calculate it theoretically?

5. Aug 24, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Is it theoretically possible to calculate it?" Yes, given emissivity as a function of wavelength and temperature and a long enough path length (deep enough water).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook