Stokes Theorem;determine double integral

In summary, the problem involves determining the surface integral of a given surface with a rightward-pointing normal and a given vector field using Stokes Theorem. After finding the cross product of the vector field and the normal, the integral is evaluated by selecting the "easiest" component to integrate, which in this case is the j component. The boundaries of the integral are determined by the given surface and the final answer is 45π.
Aizek

Homework Statement

Let S be the surface defined by y=10 -x^2 -z^2 with y≥1, oriented with rightward-pointing normal. Let F=(2xyz+5z)i+ e^x Cos(yz) j +x^2 y k
Determine ∫∫s ∇×F dS (Hint: you will need an indirect approach)

Homework Equations

Stokes Theorem ∫∫s ∇×F dS

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am correct, there is a rightward-pointing normal given by N=(2xi,1j,2zk) ( but I am not quite shure why, does it matter that the normal is rightward-pointing?) . And We have a radius of 3.

I find the ∇×F by cross derivation an get:
∇×F =(x^2 +e^x ysin(yz))i, 5j, (e^x Cos(yz)-2xz) k

I then multiply them together with the Stokes theorem

∫∫s ∇×F dS =∫∫(x^2 +e^x ysin(yz))i, 5j, (e^x Cos(yz)-2xz ) k [itex]\ast[/itex] (2xi,1j,2zk) dxdy

=∫∫(2x^3 +2xy e^x Sin(yz))i, 5j,(2z e^x Cos (yz) -4xz^2)k dxdy

This is the point where I am not shure what to do. According to an example in my textbook that is simulair,they pick out the "easiest" one of i,j,k. At this example it will be j, that is 5. This is also what they do at the solution manual (that is kind of lacking of information). And the answer only says :∫∫5dxdy =45π. They don't explain why we can pick out one to find the surface integral, has it to do with symmetry of some kind? what is the boarders (why it gets 45π)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect that the integrals over i and k cancel due to symmetry, but did not check it. As an example, ##\iint -4xz^2 dx dz = \int [-2x^2z^2]_{x=-f(z)}^{x=+f(z)} dz = \int 0 dz = 0## (dz, not dy!)

Concerning the integral for the j component:
The boundary of your integral is given by y=1, which corresponds to ##x^2+z^2=9##. This is a circle of radius 3, with an area of ##9\pi##. 5 does not depend on x or z, so the integral is just 5 times the area, of ##45 \pi##.

What is Stokes Theorem and how is it used?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical tool used in vector calculus to calculate a surface integral over a closed surface. It relates a surface integral to a line integral along the boundary of the surface. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other vector fields.

What is the formula for Stokes Theorem?

The formula for Stokes Theorem is ∫S(curl F)·dS = ∫CF·dr, where S is a closed surface, C is the boundary curve of S, F is a vector field, and curl F is the curl of F.

What is the difference between Stokes Theorem and Green's Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a generalization of Green's Theorem to higher dimensions. Green's Theorem only applies to two-dimensional regions, while Stokes Theorem can be used for three-dimensional regions. Additionally, Green's Theorem relates a line integral to a double integral, while Stokes Theorem relates a surface integral to a line integral.

How do you determine the orientation of the boundary curve in Stokes Theorem?

The orientation of the boundary curve in Stokes Theorem is determined by the right-hand rule. This means that the direction of the curve is chosen such that when your right hand follows the curve, your thumb points in the direction of the normal vector to the surface.

What are some applications of Stokes Theorem in real-world problems?

Stokes Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the circulation of a fluid flow around a closed contour, determining the flux of a magnetic field through a closed surface, and finding the work done by a force field on a particle moving along a closed path.