Stop-Start battery replacement

• Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've had a Landrover Freelander 2 for many years and the battery is now a bit reluctant on cold mornings now. The car claims to be Stop - start with an 'Eco' setting. That never works and I just turn the option off. I rang KwIK Fit, (who I would usually recommend for other things) and they would only supply me with a stop start battery at twice the price of a regular starter battery. I guess it would be a deep cycle. The engine is a 2.2 Diesel.
'Your man' said that the charger would damage a regular battery. Can that be true or is it just another example of Landrover spares being expensive?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It’s usually AGM batteries fitted to cope with the higher cycle usage of a start-stop car, and most likely a charging protocol to match. Once replaced, the battery management system (BMS) should be recalibrated, or left to recalibrate itself over a couple of days.

Safest thing would be to replace like-for-like. Batteries are usually identified by a three digit code such as 096 or 110. Main things to check are dimensions and terminal arrangement, as well as the usual Ah capacity and CCA. Tayna batteries offer a good online service, and are helpful over the phone. In contrast, I wouldn’t let my worst enemy use Kwik-Fit.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and sophiecentaur
Guineafowl said:
I wouldn’t let my worst enemy use Kwik-Fit.
They are a bit Marmite. Never had bad experiences with their tyres or exhausts over the decades of occasional use. They will refund you if there are problems.

Likes Guineafowl
sophiecentaur said:
They are a bit Marmite. Never had bad experiences with their tyres or exhausts over the decades of occasional use. They will refund you if there are problems.
Yes, in fairness, a big company like that is going to have its share of good and bad reviews.

I could list my bad experiences and those of many others around me, but instead, I’ll make a general point about the business model of such places, which is impersonal, hides behind money-back guarantees instead of pride in the work, and aims to sting the customer for umpteen ’added extras’.

In short, they pay peanuts and employ monkeys. I would strongly recommend an independent garage for car repairs, who would have a name and reputation to uphold.

Likes DaveE and sophiecentaur
Guineafowl said:
I would strongly recommend an independent garage for car repairs, who would have a name and reputation to uphold.
Agreed. I usually make a habit of going local, these days. I hate the thought of paying for the deep pile carpet in the 'reception area' and the suited young men who do nothing useful.

Likes Guineafowl
I can’t resist just one story about the business type we’re discussing. It is relevant to where you should and shouldn’t get your battery replaced, so hopefully it’s ok.

My local tyre place charges £15 to plug a nail hole. Properly.
They were shut, and I was desperate, so I went to, shall we say, a ‘corporate’ place.

“£80, Sir.”
”Eh?! I could nearly get a new tyre fitted for that!”
”Oh, sorry, it’s £60.”

I reluctantly went ahead, and the bill came in - £80.
They’d indeed charged £60 for the repair, then piled on ’extras’ that I’d consider either part of the job, or unnecessary, such as a new tyre valve, balancing and nitrogen inflation (added value gimmick). The ‘discount’ was entirely facetious, and I imagine they had a good laugh about it.

I won’t mention the ape who used an impact gun to remove and replace the sump plug on my friend’s car, such that the threads stripped, the oil dropped out and the engine seized. Mentioning something by saying you won‘t, is called ‘apophasis’, I believe.

I could go on, but that’ll do.

Likes sophiecentaur
And then there is the 'mechanic' that uses the impact wrench without checking the torque setting.

The next time you have to change that tire you jump on the the lug wrench to get it off.

When the lug nut finally comes off you find metal shavings from the stripped threads.
ARRGH!

Likes Guineafowl
Guineafowl said:
It’s usually AGM batteries fitted to cope with the higher cycle usage of a start-stop car, and most likely a charging protocol to match. Once replaced, the battery management system (BMS) should be recalibrated, or left to recalibrate itself.
It shows that collective PF knowledge and experience are priceless. I replaced the battery and found no difference. BUT a few weeks later, (today) the car began to stop start perfectly. It learned / calibrated. Cheers.

Likes hutchphd and Guineafowl
I have another question now about what the charger has to do to optimise the charging. Does it try to avoid overheating when rapid charging at close intervals?
I have noticed that the nice feature of allowing a clutch depression to restart the engine after a stall was reluctant to function latterly. That works now.

I can’t find anything about the FL2 BMS protocols, but my smart charger does have a special setting for AGM batteries, so there’s something different.

According to battery university, AGMs are commonly used for stop-start applications because they’re more robust in the face of repeated cycling.

I did find a reference to a need for 8 hours of driving for the BMS to reset properly, at which point I assume, in your case, the ‘system’ re-enabled the clutch start feature.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is a stop-start battery?

A stop-start battery is designed for vehicles equipped with stop-start technology, which automatically shuts off and restarts the engine at stops (like traffic lights) to reduce idling and save fuel. These batteries are built to withstand the increased demand of repeated starting and stopping.

2. How is a stop-start battery different from a regular car battery?

Stop-start batteries are typically more robust than regular car batteries. They are designed to handle deeper discharge cycles and have a higher cycle durability to accommodate the frequent engine restarts. They often come in AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) or EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) technologies, which support the rapid energy demands and increased cycling capabilities needed for stop-start systems.

3. When should a stop-start battery be replaced?

Stop-start batteries should be replaced when you notice symptoms such as the vehicle struggling to start, the battery not holding charge, or electrical components functioning erratically. Generally, these batteries have a shorter lifespan compared to regular batteries due to the harsher operating conditions. It's advisable to check the battery's condition regularly and replace it typically between 3 to 5 years, depending on usage and environmental factors.

4. Can I replace a stop-start battery myself?

Replacing a stop-start battery can be more complex than replacing a regular car battery due to the integration with the vehicle’s electrical system and the need to reset the battery management system. While it is possible for someone with good mechanical skills and the right tools, it is often recommended to have it replaced by a professional to ensure proper handling and installation.

5. Are stop-start batteries more expensive than regular batteries?

Yes, stop-start batteries are generally more expensive than regular car batteries. This is due to the advanced technology and materials required to meet the demands of stop-start systems. The cost can be offset by the fuel savings provided by the stop-start technology over time, but the initial investment is higher.