Storm water managment calcs

In summary, the person is seeking help with dealing with storm water for a site plan. The township engineer is requesting calculations in the form of a storm water management brief to ensure that post development flows do not exceed pre-development flows for a 100 year event. The building is 50x60 feet with a new asphalt parking area of 500 sq metres. A Civil Engineer has quoted $3,000 for a site grading and storm water management plan, which the property owner is not happy about because they have already been charged $3,000 for a topo plan by the same company. The person is looking for resources or guidance on how to do these calculations themselves, but the previous responder suggests leaving it to the professionals as it requires a qualified
blimkie.k
I need some help dealing with storm water. I'm trying to get a site plan approved and the township engineer wants to see "calculations in the form of a storm water management brief to indicate how post development floes will be managed such that they do not exceed pre development flows for a 100 year event."

The building is 50x60 feet and the new aspalt parking area will be 500 sq metres. I have allready set slopes off the building to be 2% as well as 2% on the asphalt to the sides and ditch at the front of the lot.

A Civil Engineer wants 3,000 dollars to do a site grading and storm water managment plan. Thats too much the owner of the property is not happy because the same company allready charged him 3,000 for a topo plan.

Anyways just wondering if anyone could provide me with a link or point me in the right direction on how i could attempt these calcs.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm a Civil Enginer and have no idea what the previous responder was saying.

We would have charged you more than $3000 + $3000 to do a topo survey, produce a drawing, then a site grading plan, & stormwater calculations. To "manage" flows and not exceed pre-development, a pond or chamber along with flow controls would need to be included in the design as well. Agencies usually require these plans & calcs be performed under the direction of a qualified (licensed) individual. My advice, leave it to the professionals.

I understand the importance of properly managing storm water to prevent flooding and protect the environment. It is understandable that you are seeking help with these calculations, as they can be complex and require specialized knowledge. However, it is important to remember that the cost of hiring a professional engineer is necessary to ensure the safety and effectiveness of your storm water management plan.

In terms of resources, there are various online calculators and tools available that can assist with storm water management calculations. However, these should only be used as a guide and should not replace the expertise of a professional engineer. Additionally, the township may have specific guidelines and requirements for storm water management, so it is important to consult with the township engineer before proceeding with any calculations.

Regarding the cost of hiring a professional engineer, it is important to understand that their expertise and experience are invaluable in creating a successful and compliant storm water management plan. It is also important to consider the potential costs and consequences of not properly managing storm water, such as damage to the property or surrounding areas.

In summary, as a scientist, I highly recommend seeking the help of a professional engineer for your storm water management calculations. While it may seem like a significant cost, it is necessary to ensure the safety and effectiveness of your plan. Additionally, it is important to follow the guidelines and requirements set by the township to avoid any issues in the approval process.

1. What is storm water management?

Storm water management is the process of controlling the flow of rainwater and melted snow to prevent flooding, erosion, and water pollution.

2. Why are storm water management calculations important?

Storm water management calculations are important because they help determine the appropriate size and type of infrastructure needed to manage storm water and prevent potential damage to property and the environment.

3. What factors are considered in storm water management calculations?

Factors that are considered in storm water management calculations include the area's topography, soil type, land use, precipitation patterns, and potential for development and urbanization.

4. How are storm water management calculations performed?

Storm water management calculations are typically performed using computer models that take into account the factors mentioned above, as well as any local regulations and design standards.

5. What are some common techniques used in storm water management?

Some common techniques used in storm water management include retention ponds, infiltration basins, bioswales, green roofs, and permeable pavement. These techniques aim to slow down and filter storm water runoff before it enters natural water bodies.